Building a LeMons car.

Anyone ever built one of these cars for a LeMons race?
I bought a second DA to fix my DD after a fender bender and want to beat on it before I junk it.

I helped build one a little more than 5yrs ago, it was a lot of fun but also disappointing that we blew two engines :weary:

I missed a great opportunity. Had one for $500 with roll cage and ITR transmission. Jumped on it too late. Told my friends I was pulling the trans though :stuck_out_tongue:

I don’t think I really ever posted any pics on the forum, but I have a ton I can share if you’re interested. Probably not much help in actually building one though. I did find this old thread where someone found our car at a junk yard. There are also a couple pics of our 2 liveries.
http://forums.g2ic.com/showthread.php?212070

Out of curiosity Colin, do you know why the engines blew?

Not 100% sure but our best guess was oil related - oil starvation or a spun bearing. Both times if it were a road car I’m sure you could have pulled over, towed home and repaired the car. But in a race situation that’s a lot harder considering the sustained rpm and fact that it’s harder to tell something is going wrong before it’s too late.

Oil issues, interesting…

I can’t wait to get a few projects out of the way and get this deal rolling.
I just sold the complete interior out of it last week…

Was the car competitive?

Very competitive. There have definitely been DA’s that have won or done very well at LeMons and Chumpcar races. You may not be the fastest car out there but the car will be very capable, if you’re lucky, have good/smart/safe drivers, have good strategy and can make the car last then you have good chances at doing very well. I suggest your drivers take the longest stints possible and spend as little time in the pits for driver changes and the like as possible. And of course, keep the car running, you can’t finish if the car blows up and even minor repairs will eat up lots of precious time.

Keep us posted on our build, I’d love to see it!

[QUOTE=Colin;2329109]Very competitive. There have definitely been DA’s that have won or done very well at LeMons and Chumpcar races. You may not be the fastest car out there but the car will be very capable, if you’re lucky, have good/smart/safe drivers, have good strategy and can make the car last then you have good chances at doing very well. I suggest your drivers take the longest stints possible and spend as little time in the pits for driver changes and the like as possible. And of course, keep the car running, you can’t finish if the car blows up and even minor repairs will eat up lots of precious time.

Keep us posted on our build, I’d love to see it![/QUOTE]

It’ll probably be a few months… It was hit real hard in the back. Enough to cause camber and floor wrinkling issues.
I plan on having a porta power and come-a-long party here pretty soon… I’m sure I can get it pretty close to square again.

I have an old Mazda MX-3 for a Lemons car. We are moving away from Lemons now though with it into more serious endurance leagues like AER (American Endurance Racing) I went to VIR a few weekends ago for the AER race there and ran down some fancy German cars in a fast ****box. So much fun:manual: Slowly making it less crappy.

Lemons is the best way to get into road racing imo. No pressure to perform, just go be safe, drive clean and have fun. Best of all it’s cheap when you split it up between a few guys to balance out the cost. If you want to go faster eventually start with a car that you can move up to A class with at some point.