BUILDNG B16 help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

Sup, i just got a 16b and i kno that the torque blows!!! what work or pistons can i put in to get some good torqage? i was thinking of going with type R pistons and rods but i dont kno if the crank shaft could acomadate em… and sugestions or any coments pleassee!!!

eh, i WAS building a b16a/ITR “hybrid” engine…

decided to sell it and get a straight JDM ITR…

anyways, the reason i decided this is because you can always gain top end power, but the 1.8 has a MUCH better low-end torque (which i’ve realized you already know, but please hear me out :))…and there’s nearly NO way to gain bottom end power, unless you’re willing to fork over some major benjamins…in which case i’d recommend the b18c anyways…but umm…you can put ITR Pistons/rods in a b16, but you won’t be increasing displacement any…compression will certainly go up, yeilding a SLIGHTLY higher number…but not much. using a different crank is possible, such as that from a gsr, but again it’s not gonna be the same. by the time you end up boring out the block, getting the right crank/pistons/rods, you have prolly spent way more than the GSR engine…i’m not tryin to rag on ya or make ya think you made the wrong decision, i’m just telling you how i learned i shoulda gotten the ITR (which i have:D)…

$.02

zoom

what kind of gains do u get from that… I have a b16a in my 90 gs… I am having them put on a ITR intake mani, valve train… port head -3 angle and tune the ITR cams and make me a midpipe. How much more hp could that bring in? say 15?

you can get a b18c block and put your b16 head on. then get ITR internals. that would give you some torque

can’t buy a new block right now :frowning: unfortuntaly I blew up my b18 block… what kind hp gains do you think I can get from a tuned b16a with the above mods…???

it’ll be a good deal more than 15 HP…most likely it’ll bring ya up 20-25 (considering i/h/e as well, i know you didn’t list those but i’m assuming you have them, since you’re getting a custom midpipe made and also putting on a different I.M…

all in all that sounds about right…but you’ll still be low on torque. not that it’s a horrible setup, you’ll be puttin a lot more power to the ground with a 16 than without…but hey i’m gettin long-winded and running outta breath…

zoom

i believe if you buy the right cams, stick with a 4-2-1 header, no test pipe, and a intake manifold with longer runners you’ll keep more torque. that itr intake manifold and test pipe will only decrease the amount of low end power. try using the older aem cai with 2.25 piping. also, the test pipe will reduce back pressure and you’ll lose some more low end there. having 4-2-1 rather then a 4-1 header will give more low end and mid range power. but of course, for all this your sacraficing possible gains for high end power. but for street, i say get the mid range. oh yea, get cam gears and have it dynotuned for midrange torque. other then that and some of the things mentioned above, you’ll need to increase your bore x stroke with a stroker kit, get a b18 non vtec block, or a whole new engine altogether. but hey, b16 still fun when you rev to 8000+ hehe. hth. later.

Thanks Dude :):stuck_out_tongue:

I am gonna leave a cat on… I took my car in to the tuner last night! I am going to get the head done(3 angle and milled), and they are going to make me a exhuast and put on a race cat since my exhuast was rusted togethar…lol… and tune the ITR cams up… should be real nice when they are done with it… I’ll post you guys my dyno sheet when I get it next week! yipee :):stuck_out_tongue: