bumps in tires? still safe? video!

i can do suspension work and engine swaps all day long but i know nothing about tires.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3TUzMbeSi0

what the hell?

Sorry man but that vid is not really high enough res to get a good idea of whats happening. It sort of looks like thats just the tread pattern from here but its hard to tell. Maybe a close up still photo or two would work better, if all else fails and you’re really unsure, just run one of them to a local tire shop you trust and ask them.

The ‘bumps’ that you are looking at on your tires usually form when air from inside the tire has managed to force itself in between the plies inside of the tire. This happening to both your rear tires is just a coincidence from what I can tell…

What brand/manufacturer/model?

And to answer your question: No, they are NOT safe to drive on at all. Contact the manufacturer. Since you have already driven them through one summer it is probably too late to get them replaced, but you should still call and let them know what is going on.

Bumps on the tires are usually called bubbles. They’re cause by thread separation form inside the tire. Bubbles are caused mainly by a very hard impact on the tire and it’s very very unsafe to drive on tires with bubbles cuz they blow anytime…

Usually when there are bubbles on the side wall, you should just throw the tire away. There’s no way of fixing them…

Depending on how big it is. But u should replace asap. Still a bit cold now but when it warms up/drive on the highway it will expand and pop. Not save at all.

the previous posters are giving you the wrong information in regards to your question of the condition of your tires.

the “bumps” you are talking about on the inner shoulder of the tread is a condition called cupping. its pretty common with short sidewall directional tires like yours. probly 205/40/17. it is caused from the tires not being balanced properly and/or the alignment being out of spec a very minor amount. its not that big of a deal and will only cause a slight bit of vibration and/or a bit of road noise compared to a tire in proper condition. it will even out a bit if you rotate the tires to the opposite side of the car. even though most people will tell you your not supposed to do this it will not cause any harm to the tires of the car. it will only affect water evacuation if your driving in wet conditions, and even then it wont cause you to crash or anything major.

[QUOTE=Speeddaddy;1998135]the previous posters are giving you the wrong information in regards to your question of the condition of your tires.

the “bumps” you are talking about on the inner shoulder of the tread is a condition called cupping. its pretty common with short sidewall directional tires like yours. probly 205/40/17. it is caused from the tires not being balanced properly and/or the alignment being out of spec a very minor amount. its not that big of a deal and will only cause a slight bit of vibration and/or a bit of road noise compared to a tire in proper condition. it will even out a bit if you rotate the tires to the opposite side of the car. even though most people will tell you your not supposed to do this it will not cause any harm to the tires of the car. it will only affect water evacuation if your driving in wet conditions, and even then it wont cause you to crash or anything major.[/QUOTE]

THANK YOU Andee!!! Finally someone posted a legitimate answer. I can’t believe the posters above went all out and posted things they clearly knew nothing about.

It’s really really hard to see anything in that video because of the low quality. But it’s pretty clear that they aren’t bubbles. Like Andee said, looks like a strange wear pattern which caused by the things he mentioned. The tires look to be perfectly safe, I would have no hesitation about using them. I would however check my alignment, tire pressures, and rotate tires often (as you should be doing anyway). I’d also get some 15’s cause 17’s are heavy, look gigantic and tires are too damn expensive.

that kind of improper wear is very common on big trucks. id say at least half of the trucks that come in to the garage have cupping. its caused by improper suspension/alignment. very your alignment and verify your suspension for worn bushings, shocks, springs.

like colin said, thank you andee!

have any of the other posters ever seen a tire with tread separation, it makes the tire oblong and usually only happens in one spot.

i have seen pretty much everything there is to see with regards to tires bro.