Burning Oil, Didnt Pass Smog

i took my DA to go get smogged on sat & i didnt pass.
i did a oil change right before, there was only like a qt. in there & its was all gunky black. & its only been 2800miles… n 2 mention i put a qt in 3 weeks prior. (somethings up!)
the head just got done, valves & belts. When i got the test done the timing was off a bit, but my hydrocarbons are thru the roof. i dont want to just repl. my cat conv. if it was something small to begin with. my questions are:
what do i check before repl. the cat?
why is the oil burning like that?
what do i do to fix 'em?

I have the same problem with mine too with the oil burning, I just changed my oil pan gasket with oem honda. still losing oil somewhere, I looked back at the oil pan and its still leaking a bit, but not as much as usual.

give me your reading i can tell you if you have a bad cat or a bad motor like burning oil burnt valve etc. I`m a smog tech and i have seen alot of smog problems.

my hydro carbons are thru the roof. the guy told me to get a new cat conv. but i think the problem could be deeper then that, but what idk. imma clean my egr valves and anything you could tell me would go along way, especially cuz this is your line of work. thank you for helping me btw.

You might also want to change your ignition timing to 14 degrees BTDC.

check your timing. if it’s advanced, try retarding it a bit. maybe 2-3 degrees depending on what it’s set at now.
check the operation of the egr. make sure it’s performing correctly.
check those before replacing the cat

Yea the ignition timing was a given,
but cleaning the EGR valve/ports is what i know very little about.
so far everything that has happened to my car i’ve learned to fix on my own.
if its possible to clean the EGR ports myself please steering me in the right direction.
thank you again for your help

[QUOTE=DASH!;2169653]

my hydro carbons are thru the roof. the guy told me to get a new cat conv. but i think the problem could be deeper then that, but what idk. imma clean my egr valves and anything you could tell me would go along way, especially cuz this is your line of work. thank you for helping me btw.[/QUOTE]

Yup try changing your ignition time that helps a lot and check your cat. Try removing it and look at it if you can see thru the small honey comb holes and try shaking it if you hear clunking noise that means your cat is bad meaning it could be clogged,melted or cracked. i`ve seen a lot of bad cats on honda especially on engines that burns oil. I saw your NOx on the roof that means your cat is bad or your engine is overheating. also your Hydro carbons are not that bad. Also try this one too. When you wake up in the morning take off your spark plugs and see if you have a leaking injector or bad head gasket. Take off each one of your spark plugs and see inside the pistons if it wet. Take a look if its oil or gasoline. Because most of the time if you have a high HC your injector is leaking but most of the time your cat will cure that problem but also its bad for your cat. Your cat will overheat if there is a lot of HC present. you can melt a cat.

Hopefully this helps. Goodluck