can some one explain this..

what do you mean by arches? like fender flares?

:up: Someone else who gets it! From what I can gather, stretching (to a certain extent) may have some benefits in a narrow range of very specific situations - but it’s never going to be your optimal setup, only a “band-aid” for a larger problem/issue. I usually take my ques from professionally setup race cars, they’re after peak performance, so they’re going to be setting things up as best as possible… ever seen this on a race car? I haven’t.

I guess I’m just confused cause as I see it, the whole point of running a larger wheel is so that you can run a larger tire. Why in fuck sake would you run a larger wheel and then run a tire size which is SMALLER (in width) than you can fit on stock sized wheels?

Not trying to be a dick. I really just don’t get it. If anyone has any REAL evidence of when this is actually desirable from a performance standpoint I’d love to learn more…

It’s never desirable from a performance standpoint, and anyone who claims it is doesn’t know what they’re talking about. It’s all about image.

Some drift cars may run slightly stretched tires, but that’s just to appeal to the crowd with that look. Of course, drifting is full of contradictions, so I’m not sure where it fits in there.

stretched tires for the ricer drifter crowd is definitely for looks. the guys who actually drift on the other hand stretch the tire to keep the profile low and have a decreased contact patch to let the rear end loose. they do this as amateurs because they have lower powered vehicles and smaller tires are cheaper. so they do this as a practical reason to practice. the professionals have high skill and horsepower and tend for favor more grip so they don’t need to stretch cheap tires anymore.

as for the tegs in the first post wanting to stretch their tires, let them. do what you want to your car and fuck everybody else.

everybody swears they have more knowledge than the next guy, but unfortunately most of them simply use their “knowledge” to tell someone why they shouldn’t be doing something. if something is unsafe then provide some facts to that effect. don’t just come in and say it’s the gaydm thing, or that you read it from some magazine one day somewhere. if you can’t then you should be helping the guy and answering his question. i swear this place gets more like honda-tech everyday, a bunch of whiners trying to mold every car into something very much like their own “unique” style. if your sarcasm meter is turned off i’m saying all your cars look the same! lol

I think it’s a fashion/fad.
I feel, regarding wider wheels/tires, that it should be for a performance gain (function) AND looks good as a bonus (form). You usually pay a lot for both. The “look good” part is purely left up to the personal opinions of the buyer, which leaves only the FACT part.
Wider rims and smaller stretched tires will not increase grip or help achieve better corning speeds.
I personally don’t like the stretched looked even when it comes to the EDM, JDM or USDM scene but it’s a “look” so I don’t take it to heart.
If this the OP wanted a performance gain and was asking if wider wheels and stretched tires will lower lap times then you guys can whip out the facts instead of your cocks.

of the subject…hows the ride on tein ss’s???

the tiens are great man rides like a Cadillac definitely worth the $$…

new update…

i noticed that in the first pic of the white DA… when u go to save image as its titled “imrunning205/40/16” i tested this with a worn tire i found at a tire garage to only prove it does not work =\ … yes the tire is less chunky by about half an inch… but it does no stretch ( like the tires in the pic…) i was suggested by someone to run a 195/40/r16 (Yokohama S Drives) Really nice looking tire… only problem is that if doesn’t work im gunna have to cut a $120 tire into steaks and eat them … lol

If any one has anyother suggestions let me know Thanks!!

and obviously this set up is not for performance of any type … if i wanted performance i would of hopped on a CRX Gutted with a K swap…

But thanks for the hate anyways! :werd:

Difference between XSi and USDM LS?

wanted to know if there was any difference in between the two as far as the brakes… rotors… hubs… factory offset… so that i can solve my wheel fitment issues… only thing i can think of…

I saw this on how to stretch a tire
http://japanesenostalgiccar.com/blog/2007/12/12/how-to-stretch-a-tire/

^^wow, talk about stretching a tire

eyebrows are overrated

Well shit!

I’ve been trying to figure out how this would look for a while now! …and I’ve got to say… I’m not so impressed, lol. Damn dude, those do stick out pretty far. I’m thinking the only combo that will work is take what you have now, and turn it into 15".

A 15x8 +15 with a 195/45/15:

(Here’s his photoshoot.)

The only difference is that his has +15 offset (you said your’s were 0, right?), and he’s not really sitting that low, right on the tire.