Car died today

I was getting ready to leave work today and started my car(fine) drove to the end of the parking lot (fine) stopped at stop sign (fine) got ready to pull off and car died. checked everything I can think of and won’t start. thought at first may be timing belt broke checked that (nope) I’m thinking it may be the distributor. when I try to start it, it just turns over, every once in a while I get some combustion but never starts. When I bought my other teg it had a bad distributor and it did something similar what do you guys think.
my teg is still in the parking lot at work, I live 40 miles away

Have your coil checked.

swapped out the whole distributor today with my other G2 (dist cap wires too) and still does the same thing, any ideas anyone?

is the fuel pump running?

When your car dies the first thing you want to check is the timing belt. You’ve done that. Next you should pull a plug wire off and insert a spark plug into it and ground it and see if your getting fire. If no fire then check the coil, ignitor and cap and rotor. If your getting good fire then check your fuel pressure. Also make sure your engine ground wire is connected at both ends.

I’ll bet 1 million dollars it’s your igniter located in your distributor. Costs, $100 cnd.

He swapped out the whole distributor with another G2. Do I get the $1M?

Nope, you get nothing. The distributor contains the igniter. Chances are he only had to replace the igniter.

Originally posted by G2BLACK
Nope, you get nothing. The distributor contains the igniter. Chances are he only had to replace the igniter.

Did you even read his posts? He replaced the whole distributor and it’s still fu(ked up…

Originally posted by yellaboi
swapped out the whole distributor today with my other G2 (dist cap wires too) and still does the same thing, any ideas anyone?

If it still tries to start once and a while, your tensioner could be crap and your timing belt could have jumped a notch or two.

main fuel relay

yea I swapped out the whole distributor so I know its not the ignitor/coil I haven’t checked the timing but I did try advancing and retarding the distributor just to see if it made any difference. Haven’t had time to check anything else but I’ll have some time this weekend and see if I can make some progress.
thanks for all your input

This is the first REAL problem I’ve had w/ either of my G2’s so it kinda bugs me that it just died and I don’t know why

Originally posted by G2BLACK

damn don’t u feel stupid now?:stuck_out_tongue:

could be fuel pump if it feels like your car is just out of gas.

maybe it’s actually out of gas. it happens.

no its not out of gas, I was thinking it may be the fuel pump but haven’t had a chance to check it. is there a fuse for the fuel pump, I have alreadey checked all fuses when it first shutdown but now that I’m not stranded I’ll check everything again.

There is a description of what fuses do what behind the fuse cover.

You may want to have a friend turn the car to the ON position while you listen for the fuel pump to prime. If you don’t here it, that may be your problem.

I’ve only had one fuel pump go bad and that was on my 88 AV. I “tapped” it with a flashlight and sometimes it started up.

OK guys, fuel pump is running, main fuel relay is good, timing is dead on, what the hell is wrong w/ this car?

Yea I don’t have the fuse cover for either of my cars so I don’t know what is what. but the fuel pump is working so I guess its not the fuse.

did you ever figure out the problem? if so please post here :

http://www.g2ic.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=34616

:bow: