car rolls when in gear on a hill????

My car if i don’t set the emergency brake will just roll down the hill while it’s in gear and obviously not running. I was told this means that i have a serious compression leak. Im not sure though, Im going to get a compression check soon. The car runs great no lack of power doesnt smoke or use any oil. Although it does have 190,000 miles on it.:werd:

why would you base engine condition on this??? any car would roll down a hill (distance rolled and hill’s grade are variables, of course) regardless it’s in gear or not without the parking brake engaged.

Wut the hell? :rofl:

Gravity ownz… compression has nothing to do with it. That emergency brake is also known as a parking brake.

correct me if i’m wrong, but if your car is off, and is in gear, it shouldn’t move/roll (on a manual).

:confused:

hmmm

last time I checked the car will NOT roll if it’s in gear…my car doesn’t roll down my hill when I forget the emergency brake. That’s why people leave their car in gears.

HTH
Ken

depends what gear your in… and how steep the hill is… itll roll down the hill…and why would it be the compression? that wouldnt stop you from rolling down… next time… try throwing it in reverse and see if it rolls

wait… never mind… it still might roll in reverse

car rolls on a hill while in gear

Why would you do this anyway? It only takes a second to yank on the handbrake? Depending on the grade of the hill you could be subjecting the gearbox/clutch and engine to enormous loads. Why wouldn’t you use the brakes for what they are meant for… stopping the car? And keeping the car from rolling down a hill IS stopping the car. Even automatics should use the parking brake when parking on a hill. PARK is not for holding a car on a hill, even though the lazy automatic car owners think so. I mean they’re too lazy to shift their own gears, what else should I expect. Basically everything on a car has a function, why not use the features for what they are designed for?

A car WILL roll while it is in gear if there is enough force (Due to gravity or momentum). That is the reason manual cars can be push started. The wheels turn the transmission which turns the engine. The compression will cause the car to be harder to push than if it was in neutral, but it will NOT act as a brake that would hold the car on a hill. It is not that hard to overcome the compression and get the car moving.

Granted, a car with low or no compression will roll easier than a car with normal compression, but even with good compression it doesn’t take a lot of force to spin the engine (the starter does it every time you turn the key). IF the starter can turn the engine and overcome the compression, why would you think the weight of your car trying to go down a hill wouldn’t.

If you had a serious compression problem, you would know it. Rolling down a hill would be the LEAST of your worries. (for starters, If your car had such a MAJOR compression leak, it probably could not drive back up the hill).

Whoever told you you have a “Serious compression leak” needs to do a LOT more diagnosis before making that incorrect assumption.

i had an old toyota p/u that had 198k onit that would do the same . maybe your eng is a little tired . has it been running rich at all or do you have black soot on the back of your car?

I’d bet the reason why is because the clutch is slipping! Either from being nearly spent or your clutch cable needs adjusting.

i say clutch also…i haven’t seen a car that’ll roll down a hill in gear…ANY gear… 1ntegra, i think you are full of S**T… you make me sick:vomit: if you will remember how to pop a clutch to start a car you will look at the key word… “POP”… if you just let the clutch out and leave it out…it’ll stall…u just “pop” it to kick the motor over like a starter… anyway… have the clutch checked man…sheesh…amatures (1ntegra):rocket:

Originally posted by kc10er
1ntegra, i think you are full of S**T…
you make me sick:vomit:
amatures (1ntegra):rocket:

The MIDOL is on aisle 5…

:confused: