Car won't run right!!!

Hey, so heres whats up, car 90GS, starts fine, when its cold it runs excellent, I could burn like mad, as soon as it warms up it boggs down from idle to about 1500 rpm, until I get over that then it works OK. On the highway then it spudders a bit and sometimes I hear it backfiring??? SO heres what I’ve done…

new plugs, cap, wires, ditributor, fuel filter, O2 sensor, and the compression, all cylinders are about 160psi, give or take a bit 1 or 2 psi.

I just can’t figure it out. And if I go to the shop I’m looking at big coin. Help!!!:confused:

Re: Car won’t run right!!!

Originally posted by jetfier
as soon as it warms up it boggs down from idle to about 1500 rpm

when engine is warmed up the idle shouldnt be that high. might want to check that over.

When it is idleing it is normal, like below 1000 rpm. Even when it warms up!

im having sammmmme problem, 192,xxx on my b18a1. it just feels like its got 10hp untill about 2k rpm, i replaced plugs, plug wires, and fuel filter, still does it.

upp… i need to know :slight_smile:

Mine has a more drastic version of this, everytime I give it gas, no matter the rpm or speed, it bogs down. Fuel Injectors. That’s my problem, try running some injector cleaner, your problem doesn’t sound as bad as mine, I wouldn’t recommend replacing the injectors until I’ve run a full tank of cleaner through it.

i pourd a bunch of FI cleaner and it did fine till i put another tank of gas.

Mine did this after I changed the spark plugs once. I used Bosch Platinums, and my car ran like crap up until 2000 RPM. When I put new stock NGK’s back in, the car ran like a champ. Might want to try puting new NGK’s in if you already haven’t done so.

:gun: BOSCH Platinum :gun2:

thats what i got, bosch platnum :frowning:
ill go get some ngks tomorrow… when i dumped a bunch of fuel injector cleener, it ran ok. till i put more gas in.

Bosch platinums are fine as long as the gap is set right. If the gap is not correct, you will get a stumbling effect cause the spark is not strong enough. I forgot the website, but they dynoed normal Bosch platinums vs some copper plugs and they were a good 1-2 Hp higher all the way around. Then they did the iridium and they were 1-2 higher than the Platinum. But I am not spending $12-16 per plug. Call me cheap, but no…

i dont know if its the gap… its set at same gap my others were. 32.

For B18A’s the gap should be .044". That is your problem. Regap them and try again. I had mine gapped at .035 before and everytime I cranked my car it would misfire a little until the car was warmed up. When I regapped them to .044 I never had a problem again.