Car wont start after new pump.

Its all fixed except my latest problem. see latest post.

Dead batt.?
Loose/poor batt. connections?
Loose/poor ground connections, [chassis and/or motor]?

What is the MM&Y of car, auto or 5 speed?:dozing: 94

Its a 90 GS 5 speed. i checked the connections. everything seems good. i even have thicker ground wires than the stock ones. Battery isnt dead. my lights and everything comes on and the battery is only a year old.

MFR :salute:

Try a “bypass jump”, turn ign. switch to run, MAKE SURE transmission is in neutral, use a jumper, [12ga min.] and jump directly from batt. pos.(+) to starter solenoid, unplug solenoid starter control lead, [black/white] and touch jumper to terminal.
Let me know what happens.:whisper:94

PS, did I mention DO NOT leave car in gear.

Ok so heres what i got so far. i added and extra beefy ground wire to the tranny side and mounted it in a different place. so now it is trying to start. but when my fuel pump kicks on it sounds like all it is doing is sucking air. i start to get Some pressure on my fuel pressure gauge but it shot right back down after i try to start. also you can hear some built up air pressure blow out after i turn the car to the Off position.

I am getting spark for sure but im just not sure about the fuel i can smell fumes and some comes out after i attempt to start it and it smells like exhaust. but it just wont turn over fully.

Here is a video and snapped a few pics of the project with my video cam.

“but it just wont turn over fully” what does that mean?

Did you try the “bypass jump” I suggested?

Have you got gas in the tank?

Did you test the fuel pump before you installed it?
Even a brand new part, [fuel pump] can be defective.

If you did not try the “bypass jump” do so, it is the simplest way to narrow down the problem.:tapfing:94

I did a bypass jump and it just would crank, like it does in the video.

I do have gas in the tank.

When i said it wont turn over fully. it means that it will just crank and not start.

Well, the pump seems good, i got it from Xenocron or something like that. also it does pump, but seems to only pump air atm.

“When i said it wont turn over fully. it means that it will just crank and not start” That’s what I was not clear about.

It definitely sounds like a fuel issue, and as you just installed a new pump, it is the firs place I would look, You didn’t do something silly like wire the pump backwards did you?:giggle
It’s a DC motor it would run backwards, probably get a lot of “gurgling”, sucking air sound.

Maybe something just plain dumb like not removing a dummy plug/cap on the pumps intake, that would suck nothing but a vacuum.:uhoh:
That would be hard on the pump motor.

I would start at the pump, pull it and test it, eliminate that as the problem, even brand now parts can be DOA,
at the same time you can confirm that it is wired correctly, maybe it was miswired at the manufacturing plant or wiring diagram is wrong, stranger things have happened.:idea:

There is one thing I would check first though, test the 2 yellow/black leads on the PGM-FI Main Relay, one is power to the fuel pump, and output is controlled by ECU/ECM and fuel pump relay, the other is injector power, and output is controlled by ign. switch and injector relay, you can test for power at the injectors electrical plug, [yellow/black at any injector].:whisper:94

Ok so i just got back from the garage. when i am trying to start it after i turn it off and you hear “poof” sound that is the only time i see spark from my distributor.

I forgot to mention that i did an obd0 to obd1 swap on this car too.
I did all the stuff for it too

obd1 distributor
4 wire o2 wireup
obd1 computer

I tried to use both computers and it seems when i am trying to start it, there is no spark and when i turn it off and hear a poof sound, i see an arch from a spark wire to the distributor. Also i put 2 more gallons of gas in the car and now im getting fuel pressure that is stable. and not just hearing lots of air sucking.

I can smell exhaust when it "poof"s i donno, i am going to check my wiring on the distributor i guess. Because the fuel pump seems all good.

“Also i put 2 more gallons of gas in the car and now im getting fuel pressure that is stable. and not just hearing lots of air sucking”

“I am getting spark for sure”

" I forgot to mention that i did an obd0 to obd1 swap on this car too":tsk:
It’s hard enough to diagnose problems over the Internet, wrong or lack of info make it impossible.

When you installed the distributor did you make sure #1 cylinder was at TDC and rotor was pointed at #1 spark plug lead?

Please don’t just assume you did, make sure.

One more thing, please tell me that the plastic “zap straps” holding the heat wrap on the exhaust manifold is temporary:uhoh: 94

heh well i will check my distributor again when i get home, the wires looked good last night.

i guess my main question is now, what would cause my distributor to spark only after i turn the key to the off possition.

What do you mean “what would cause my distributor to spark only after i turn the key to the off possition” where are you seeing a spark?:hmm: 94

i saw a spark because i pulled a plug off to see if it would spark when i am starting and it didnt but when i turn the key to off it archs.

OIC, you seen the spark at a spark plug when you turn the ign. off but no spark when cranking to start.

Have you checked the ICU, I had my ICU go out and can remember I would get a weak spark when I stopped cranking, but before I turned ign. off.
I would check the coil also.:sipread:94

ok well i have seemed to fix the spark prblem when turning my ign off.

but now it will crank and after about 5 seconds throw a CEL 9 code which is Crank possition sensor or cylinder 1 possition.

i have a brand new distributor and new wires and new plugs.

Like I said, make sure distributor is installed properly.:tapfing: 94

Its fixed! i had the 2 white wires backwards i guess. i depinned them and switched and now it starts up

BUT its runs like crap, and when i give it throttle too fast it cuts out and dies. any ideas?

My boost gauge shows 20lbs of vacuum when idling and when i try Wide open throttle it dies and if i give it too much gas too fast it dies. And when i give it gas slowly it will hit about 6 or 7 grand and just fall to 0 and die.

EDIT: Oh and by the way, thanks for all the help.

Timing?:idea:94