car wont start, odd problems may be related

yea, i didn’t figure it out at first when i put my wifes battery in the car and had her turn the key, but i could hear the sparking and see a little flash of light from the starter… it makes sense now that it would come from that bad wire sparking against the transmission.

Have you tried to pinch that little connector to ensure its staying on the starter prong.

deffinatly sounds like a dead spot on the starter, I would work on gettin that thing out of there and rebuilding or replacing it and going from there

it’s not the starter.

it IS the starter, or more accurately the wire between the two halves of the starter. everything else is working.

the car is at the shop, my hands are still hurting pretty good from trying to get the starter out myself.

basically, :sucks: and i hope this is the end of it. after seeing & hearing the wire sparking against the transmission because of the insulation being bad and partially missing, i cant imagine it being anything else. but it is at a damn good shop and i know the people well enough to know it will get fixed and for a fair price.

edit: back from the shop. cranking up every try now, battery, alt and grounds tested fine at the shop as well.

so it was the starter? i thought you said it worked fine when jumped directly

even the mechanic said the starter was shot, which explains why another charged battery still wouldn’t start it.
the wire between the solenoid and starter motor half was destroyed, I saw that myself… it was sparking against the transmission and needed to be replaced regardless.
I cant fully explain why jumping the solenoid itself started it.

edit:
Alls well. battery was reeealy dead after all the non-starting.
now that its charged back up it is fine. just a matter of time before the battery needs to be replaced anyway, just glad its starting now with the new starter.

man that new starter is nice too, one turn of the key and it starts instantly.