Car won't start! Weird Alternator/Battery/Starter probs..

Hey guys,

So I went to start the car this morning and it ALMOST fired up but immediately died. Tried again. Fine. Same thing yesterday, “Shrug”, oh well right? Right.

So tonight I took it out and the battery light came on…odd…the car is fine, started fine…well what I guess happend was the alternator failed (you think?) and now i was using all the battery juice…

So, given the idea that the alternator perhaps went, now my lights were dimming, my wipers were slowing down, so I pulled over.

Checked the car, alternator belt looks healthy, ground wires seem fine running around the engine and fuses and whatnot. A friend comes by with a fresh battery. Should start up right? Since Alternator just comes in an keeps a charge recirculated after it fires up…but NO. It wouldn’t fire up. Nothing. I hear the click of the Fuel relay switch, and my lights all illuminate strong (because I now have a strong battery) but would a failed alternator prevent the car from starting? FWIR, The starter takes part in the firing process, and given my spark plugs, fuel lines, etc are fresh and great (recent tuneup and fuel filter and such) I would assume just a bad starter…? But all along it was hints of a bad alternator…!!!

Anyone know of some gremlin these cars get in this ignition process? The alternator belt (as I mentioned) looks good and legit.

…so your saying the starter is turning the engine over or not? If the starter is turning your engine over, then check for fuel and spark. If your starter is turning over, but erratic and weak, check for the connections on your starter and the ground wire off of the battery. If your starter isn’t even turning the engine over, then it could be bad connections, ignition switch, clutch interlock switch, the starter relay, or the #18 fuse in fuel panel. Hope this helps and good luck.

No, now the car won’t even turn over. I turn the key and and because I passed “on” I hear the fuel relay click.

I am very positive its not a spark/fuel issue. It’s an alternator/starter issue or somewhere in between…Just dont’ feel like buying and fixing these parts to have the same problem still…:frowning:

Loosen up your alternator belt, then try and turn the pully on the alt…if it’s really hard, or if it won’t move at all(by hand) then your alternator has seized and you will need to either take it apart and rebuild it(might work), or buy a new one. If you need help on how to remove it, either email me or add me on msn a_c_u_r_a@hotmail.com and I will give you a step by step:) Hope this helps