Cat and Resonator research. looking for new thoughts

All of the post on this are old and I wanted to get some new thoughts. I need to get a Cat and Resonator to make things quiet. Right now, I just have a greedy exhaust, header, and gutted cat. The b20 is not boosted.

From what I read, the longer the resonator the better. 22 inches over 18. The recommendations are carsound or magnaflow.

As for the cat, magnaflow is I read. but I do have an old 20 year old intact cat. Im thinking thats pointless to pop on.

Is there any other choices that you would suggest me research? Are there any places that you would suggest me to buy from?
Thanks guys

i also heard about after the cat, using 2 resonators with a little piece of pipe inbetween. and ive heard about the vibrant brand too. Just wanted to hear thought.

It would be wise to give some info as to what your goals are. If you’re just looking for noise reduction, then just start adding stuff till it’s quiet enough. And you’ll probably just want to add whatever is cheapest. If you’re looking for max performance while making things quieter, then that’s a whole other story.

It’s been a couple of years since I was doing my research, but when I was, SMSP was the cat to have if you want high flow. With that said, it probably doesn’t help lower emissions as much as others on the market. Search Honda-tech, there are many posts with dyno comparisons of people using different cats.

Colin is right. You’re going to get different responses, depending on what you’re truly looking for out of the product.

As far as my personal experience, I had a Magnaflow high flow cat on one of my DA exhaust setups and it got louder than the stock one that was replaced. Since you may be going for a quieter tone, the high flow may not be your best bet.

On another DA exhaust setup, I had purchased a Thermal R&D N/A cat-back with a dented resonator. What I ended up doing was buying a Vibrant resonator off of a FA5 cat-back unit. A lot of guys on the 8thCivic forum like eliminating that part of the exhaust and you can buy it off of them pretty cheap. However, that was not a good idea. I believe the piping was the same size, but the exhaust got pretty loud with that resonator. I think Vibrant’s universal style resonators might be a better choice, I’ve heard good reviews about them too. I just attempted to cheap out and it didn’t work out.

That is right, I didn’t list a goal. My 1st goal is to get this thing more quiet. My setup is loud and I would like to make a phone call going over 60mph. The issue would be a balance between money and performance after that.

Colin- I will check out SMSP and Honda-tech. thx

Yeyo-As for the magnaflow high cat, you mentioned it was louder that the stock. Does Magnaflow make regular or low flow? Im not making jokes. Just didn’t see it on the magnaflow site.

Also, any thought on universal or direct fit?

I don’t remember the product number, but I’m pretty sure it was a universal fit Carsound Magnaflow with a 2.25 inlet/outlet. I think you should concentrate more on the resonators for quieting down the exhaust db’s. Also, what kind of muffler are you currently running and what size is your piping?

greedy sp 2.25 all the way. i got sidetracked but would still love to hear thoughts. i have the money and need to shut this integra up

u wanna quiet it up? wow i have the same set-up i have stock b18a1 though intake, dc 4-2-1 test pipe and greddy sp2 no resonator(mid pipe (b) pipe) from the original catback exhaust i ended up putting a huge dent in the res so theres jus a pipe there now and then the sp2 axle back. it growls jus the way i like it… i have a pipe on the side(straight pipe/blast pipe) where i can unbolt from the axle back and just change it whenever i want…now that shit is LOUD. but to help i had a magnaflow(carsound) hi-flowing cat before. that thing started rattling after riding low as well…all the stuff from the cat was blown out and into and out the exhaust lol…