Check Engine Light

Wats going on everybody…this is my first post…so bare w/ me…

I just put in an catalytic converter for my g2 LS…after i finished install it…the check engine light came up…

THe real question is does my car lose performance when im running with CEL on…and how can i shut it off…

so how do i fix it…

my stock catalytic converter have some kind of sensor build on…i couldn’t get it off because is rusted…so i have to cut it off…then the CEL came up…i think thats the reason…the testpipe that i bought didnt come w/ a build on sensor so it doesn’t matter i guesss…

That would be your O2 sensor, you will throw a check engine light without it, and without your car most likely will not run right either.

Originally posted by NtenseTeg
That would be your O2 sensor, you will throw a check engine light without it, and without your car most likely will not run right either.

the O2 sensor on our cars is oh the collector of the exhaust manifold (at least that is the only place i have seen it). I have also heard of it being at the very end of the exhaust manifold right before the flange that connects it to the catalytic convertor.
I can’t think of any sensor that would connect directly to the cat, becasue it would kinda defeat teh purpose of an O2 sensor to place it in a spot where emmissions are being reduced. i would think that would make the car run rich all the time. run the code the CEL is throwing and you will find your problem. sorry if this didn’t make any sense.

also if it was the O2 sensor and you dont have a place to put it. take the car to an exhaust shop and i am sure they can tap a hole in the manifold for you (dont know how much this will cost), or you can go the more fun route and get a nice header.

HTH
Skandalous