checking dipsticks

somewhere i read that for the tranny fluid, you dont put the stick back in all the way until the rubber is secured, you only dip it in far enough so it just touches the top of the tube. is this true?
if so, then we’ve all been running slightly low… otherwise, is there anything wrong with filling it up slightly higher?

i dont think this applies to the oil dipstick. you stick her in all the way…

Just to clarify, X is talking about the automatic transmission dipstick. I’ve always put it in as far is it will go. Where did you hear otherwise?

I’ve read (and also seen my mechanic) that the way you check the ATF level is ONLY if the engine is on. Apparently it’s wrong to check it with the engine off/cold. But yeah I also check it with it all the way in. ATF dipstick is stupid though, it has that dumb curve in the piping which makes it difficult to go back in sometimes. :argh:

I’ve never heard of checking when it’s on, but I do know you’re supposed to check it when the car’s hot. That curve in the dip stick is the dumbest thing. Not only does it make it a little more difficult to insert the dipstick, it also deposits fluid all over the stick, making it impossible for me to get an accurate reading.

Do you guys have that problem too?

Originally posted by N FUL FX
I’ve read (and also seen my mechanic) that the way you check the ATF level is ONLY if the engine is on. Apparently it’s wrong to check it with the engine off/cold.
Not for Honda’s, the car needs to be off or you’re going to get a low reading and end up overfilling the trans. I know Fords/Mazda’s need to be running to check them.

Originally posted by LeftCorner
Not for Honda’s, the car needs to be off or you’re going to get a low reading and end up overfilling the trans. I know Fords/Mazda’s need to be running to check them.

yup, the service manual says to check it with the engine OFF.

Originally posted by SE-37K
[B]I’ve never heard of checking when it’s on, but I do know you’re supposed to check it when the car’s hot. That curve in the dip stick is the dumbest thing. Not only does it make it a little more difficult to insert the dipstick, it also deposits fluid all over the stick, making it impossible for me to get an accurate reading.

Do you guys have that problem too? [/B]

yep. what i do is wipe the entire stick dry with a shop towel, dip it in, then dry it again. do this once or twice and most of the residue around the tube is gone. usually by then you can see the liquid line at just the right angle and in the right light, if not on one side then on the other. even if there is liquid along the edges, you can still see where it topped off.

Originally posted by XDEep
yep. what i do is wipe the entire stick dry with a shop towel, dip it in, then dry it again. do this once or twice and most of the residue around the tube is gone. usually by then you can see the liquid line at just the right angle and in the right light, if not on one side then on the other. even if there is liquid along the edges, you can still see where it topped off.

Thanks man, I’ll try that next time.