Chipped ECU or standard ECU for California?

Hey folks, hoping I can get some advice. My ECU on 92 Integra RS w/manual (OBD1) is having issues, and so I have to pick up a new one. I have no performance mods on my engine at this time, but I might look to upgrading the header and intake in the near future. My dilemma is on which route I should go. Should I pick up a chipped ECU with basemap (and get it tuned at some point) or just pick up a remanufactured standard ECU? My car is in California, so I need to deal with smog test every 2 years, and my next one is coming up in 5 months. Thanks in advance.

[QUOTE=BigSung;n1116622]Hey folks, hoping I can get some advice. My ECU on 92 Integra RS w/manual (OBD1) is having issues, and so I have to pick up a new one. I have no performance mods on my engine at this time, but I might look to upgrading the header and intake in the near future. My dilemma is on which route I should go. Should I pick up a chipped ECU with basemap (and get it tuned at some point) or just pick up a remanufactured standard ECU? My car is in California, so I need to deal with smog test every 2 years, and my next one is coming up in 5 months. Thanks in advance.[/Q

I am not sure if you will pass smog or not, but you would definitely not pass the BAR inspection. That being said, an ecu should be failry easy to locate online, as they are very common and inexpensivew. Good luck!

I would agree with a factory ecu at this point. As long as all other emission factors are inline and in good working condition along with a good catalitic converter, you should at least pass you for this upcoming test.