Chirping sound when on the throttle?

Ok, here’s the deal. Two weeks ago I had my clutch replaced, then had to take it back for a new distributor ($1100 total repair bills in 4 days…ugh). It ran fine until after I took it to inspection, which it passed. I don’t know if that anything to do with it. I don’t know how it could. It passed BTW.

After that the idle sits anywhere from 1200 - 2000 RPMs, WAY high. I adjusted the idle screw this morning, and it’s slightly better. Actually it’s a little low and nearly stalls on me when I stop, but goes back to around 800 RPMs when I sit there for a few minutes.

However, the weird thing is that when I’m on the throttle, I hear a chirping sound from the engine bay. Not a single “chirp” but a sound that is consistent with how much gas I give it. When I gas it, the sound becomes more noticable as more gas is given.

Any ideas? I’ve searched but came up empty.

Thanks,
Ed

if you mean chirping like a bird is stuck under the hood, i think i had the same problem. i found out that mine is comming from the speedo cable though. i thought it was the engine for a long time until the chirps went at the same time the needle jumped and when i greased the cable the noise stopped.

Interesting. How did you grease the cable? I suppose I could find out from my Helms, but I don’t have access to it right now.

Thanks,
Ed

:search: for the speedo cable greasing trick. I would just install a new one if I were you 'cause it’s a PITA either way. You may want to make sure it’s not your accessory belts first though…much less trouble.

check this out www.g2ic.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=58674&highlight=speedo+cable will tell you everything you need to know. it might not be your speedo cable but its worth a try