Cleared 92-93 tails - pics will stay uploaded

hey guys sorry about my last thread, but i couldn’t edit it to fix the pictures so here it is again.

Hey, this past weekend I cleared a set of 92-93 tails using the oven method. I decided to do a write up, step by step for you.

First, you want to remove the vents, harnesses and bulbs from the housing. To remove the vent take out the 3 screw and to remove the harnesses just turn them and they pop out.

Second, put in the light or lights depending on the size of your oven and set to 200 F. Once preheated to 200 F, leave them in for 5-10 minutes. Take them out after that time and begin prying off the lense with a flathead screwdriver. It’s good to have a cloth around the head of the screwdriver to help not put dents into the plastic as much. It will happen, but I can’t think of a better tool to use. Slowly pry and be patient, after a few minutes of prying its good to put them back in the oven for another 5 minutes to get the glue soft again. Prying with the glue hard will either crack them or make it so they don’t come off at all.

Next, once the lense is off or close you can remove the amber and 2 clear plastic pieces from inside the light. They are just sitting in there and aren’t attached in any way. Here is a picture of how they are lined up inside the light.

Now, you want to clean the inside of the lense to get out any dirt or handmarks. Over 10-12 years little bits of dirt and water spots build up on the inside. Use windex and something simple to clean it.

Finally, you want to push the lense back over the housing the best you can, and then put it back in the oven for 5-10 minutes to get the glue soft again. Take them out and push them back together using your hands or holding it with a cloth. Now put the vents, harnesses and bulbs back on and install it on your car. Make sure all your bulbs are working and tighten down the lights. Here are some pictures of the final product. Overall it took 4-5 hrs to do the whole job and took lots of patience. A few warnings are not to turn the oven over 200 F, or keep them in much longer than 10 minutes. I melted my lense a little on the inside so now its a bit wavy, but its barely noticable. Good luck.

I tried this method tonight and it took longer to take the back lights out of the car than it did to take the lights apart. Big thanks for the pictures! They helped me decide to try it out and I’m glad I did :rockon:

I also found helpful to use a knife to cut the silicon when separating the lights.

nice stuff, If only I could get some 92-93s for dirt cheap at a junkyard instead of paying 50+ here.

You can clear your 90-91 lights to. You do the exact same thing, but when you get the lights apart you take out the piece that has the pink lines on it. And wet sand them off with 1000 grit. Then just put it all back together. The top part won’t look as clear as 92-93 lights, but they will look very white, and not pink. Much better I did it to a friends car, it’s a white 91 and it looks awesome.
Acurazor

those look hott i was going to buy some but hell, I can do it myself for almost free… nice ima do it this weekend

:up: , They look Great! Only if I could do that… Dont they leak after words, from messing with the glue?

I went down to the local home depot and bought some Permatex clear silicone and replaced the grey silicon that was originally on the old lights. Make sure that you give it a good 24 hours to dry before installing them back on to your car.

I left the white plastic guards in the lights as you can see in my picture becasue i prefer the red/white look.

:dance:

Same think I did to mine. The only thing I took out was the amber piece, and that’s it. Here are some pics. check it out. http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/602141/2

Very nice pics Acurazor :up:

Has anyone figured out a way to hide the yellow lights in the front bumpers? For example add a clear white piece of plastic in front of it to stop the yellow bulb from reflecting. I know a quick way would be just to replace the orange bulb with a white one :werd:

I don’t think anyone has come up with this yet. And if you just change to a white bulb, that’s illegal. The only thing I know you could do for your bumber lights is. Sylvania Silverstar makes some 1156 bulbs. They look blue in color, but when they light up, they are amber, so you get the cool blue look but amber light. Still Legal:up:. I’ve seen them in Checker before, I think they are like $10 a pair. Good luck.:rockon:
Acurazor

Right on Acurazor :clap:

I’ll go see if I can find a pair

• Waramp

Check your local listings for turn signal color laws… Because at least in GA, there is no restriction on color of turn signals. :wink:

http://www.autobarn.net/11hipesili.html?AID=10274001&PID=770497

here a link for the lights that i found… little more $$$ though. It has the part number for you to search on. :up:

do u think it would be wise to do this to like 8 pairs of tailights, and then selling them in forums like this and honda-tech, and honda-acura.net? cuz they look nice enough that i’d pay $80 for a pair. i love them. thanks.

WarAmp’s tails > sweet91integra’s tails :up:

sweet91integra’s are beast tho…dont get me wrong.

Thanks for the kudos kyle10182 :run:

• WarAmp

damnit i moved the pics to a different album in my photobucket, now they are broken and I can’t edit my post. whats the deal? my tails didn’t come out as nice as Waramp’s but it was just a try. anyways I sold them a few weeks ago, so I’m sporting my stock pinks now.

can u put a link to your photobucket up? or maybe PM it to me. i’ll save the pics this time.

here try this hopefully it won’t make you have to login in my name…

http://photobucket.com/albums/v320/benowens/Cleared%20Taillights/

*Account is password protected