Clutch Cable Problem

I’ve got a bit of a problem! I just finished rebuilding the engine for my 1992 integra GS. The clutch was replaced a year ago with an Exedy stage 1 and an ACT flywheel. Now that I’ve got everything hooked back up to the engine and my car is almost ready to start up for the first time, I can’t get the clutch cable on for some reason. The release arm will move up freely a few inches then stop dead. I can’t really tell if the clutch is engaging or not. Once the clutch cable is hooked up to the clutch pedal, it can’t reach down far enough to hook into the release arm. The only thing I’ve been able to think is that the throwout bearing somehow managed to fall off the input shaft while I was putting the tranny/motor back together. I don’t see how this could have happened considering the transmission/bell housing were never separated. But that release arm still won’t reach up high enough to hook the cable on. Please help me out. I REALLY don’t want to have to drop this engine down again to check out that throwout bearing.