coil packs on a g2?

anyone ever thought of trying to retro fit coil packs?? i just learned how they function in depth… essentially all you have to do is run a sensor to signal the coils to fire no? fcm, surely you’ll have good insight… maybe i’m just dreaming or talking crazy talk, but Im thinking if i were to replace the rotor with a permanent magnet and had a switch that senses a magnetic field to complete the circuit… i’m sure there’s a more efficient way of completing the circuit… would a hall-effect sensor work well? the hardest part would be getting the air gap or spacing of the sensors exact… if it’s plausible i’ll give it a shot cuz for w/e reason i have 4 distributors in my shop… if anyone can confirm what kind of sensor i could use to complete the circuit to signal the coil i’ll run with the idea… i just think it would be cool to see 4 thin wires going to the distributor as opposed to the ht wires you always see… or tuck them and see nothing and make people think it’s been converted to a compression ignition engine :angel: lemme know!!!

maybe this isn’t in the right spot… should this be electrical instead? sorry :frowning:

It’s an interesting idea, but…

…honestly, I can’t really see what the point would be in doing such a huge (and potentially complicated and/or expensive) modification to the stock ignition system, which is a perfectly good design and does its job well already.

It’s sort of a “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” thing.

well lets say i get the coil packs for free… it’s just a matter of signalling the coil to fire at the appropriate time no? i’m just thinking out of the box that’s all… it’s something you could brag about when you pop the hood “tell me what other g2 has coil packs” kind of thing :stuck_out_tongue:

I see where you’re coming from–it would be something no one has likely done and hence unique. But would it serve any real purpose?

The way I think about it, though, is this:
If a modification to a piece of equipment (be it a car or anything else) doesn’t actually improve it, then its value is dubious.
If a modification to a piece of equipment actually makes it more complicated and potentially less dependable, then it has negative value.

I’m pretty sure it is a lot more complicated than that.

New cars with coil packs on spark plugs have no distributor. The firing is controlled by the ECU and possibly many other sensors as well.

yea i understand it’s ecm controlled, but essentially the ecm is merely relaying camshaft position and sending a 12v signal to the coil to fire at the appropriate time… why not just bypass the ecm and create a simple system to trigger the coil to fire the cylinder at the right time? like i said in my first post, i understand this may not be super practical, and i’m not saying everyone should do it… i just like applying knowledge and making something that most people wouldn’t think of… whether it has a positive or negative effect is here nor there… if i can get it to work, great! if not, i revert to what it was and call it a good effort. i’m just asking if anyone knows of a sensor that’s sensitive enough to trigger a 12v signal (kind of like a relay) but without any wearing components (nothing like points). thanks for the input so far, i appreciate it :slight_smile: even if this doesn’t get past text, it’s still good to talk about it imo…

Check with AEM. They have a whole system to convert to this type of ignition system. This replaces the distributor.

http://www.aempower.com/ViewCategory.aspx?CategoryID=122

Here is the coil pack.

http://www.aempower.com/ViewCategory.aspx?CategoryID=123

Now just browse the site and I’m sure you can find out more info on how to relay them and such.

that’s more or less what i was interested in… the only thing is, i don’t want it to run through an ecm lol… especially one that costs $1500usd :umno:

[QUOTE=93RedTeg;2022775]Check with AEM. They have a whole system to convert to this type of ignition system. This replaces the distributor.

http://www.aempower.com/ViewCategory.aspx?CategoryID=122

Here is the coil pack.

http://www.aempower.com/ViewCategory.aspx?CategoryID=123

Now just browse the site and I’m sure you can find out more info on how to relay them and such.[/QUOTE]

I noticed the disclaimer about these products not being legal on street-driven cars in California. What’s the reasoning behind that??

Probably not CARB exempt. Since it does deal with modding the stock ignition system. It needs to be CARB exempt and AEM hasn’t done this yet with the board.

glad i don’t have to worry bout that lol… i’m gunna play with the idea a bit… making the coil fire without an ecm that is… i enjoy challenges lol… i’ll letcha know if i can make it work or if i fail haha… thanks again for the input, good find on the aem product too…