Converting to e85

I was thinking of converting to e85 to save money on gas, and increase performance and clean my engine and help the environment… Your thoughts? Can anyone share their experience with switching to e85… How you did it, etc… The research i’ve found so far is that you need to get bigger fuel injectors and an external fpr… I have a crome swapped p28 ecu with a gsr basemap on my b16aII.

get some DSM injectors, and a fuel regulator, gonna need a bigger pump too…thats all the parts u will need and someone to tune, i know hondata has a thing where its easy to convert to E85 but i am not familiar with crome yet…

E85 burns fasters than regular gas so basically youre not gonna say money its almost the same bro

It is not worth it.

If say 93 is $3/gallon, you fill up with 10 gallons ($30) and we get say 30mpg. That’ll give us 10 miles per dollar.

E-85 is $2.60/gallon, $26 per fill and get 22mpg (so you flogged it a little). That’ll give us 8.4 miles per dollar.

Also, when being a mainly bolt on setup you wont see much of a performance gain. It would be in the same realm of having 750cc injectors and a pump for an all stock car, if you aren’t adding a ton of compression or some boost it is nearly pointless.

you can just have your cars ecu tune to run with it I have talk to tuners before thats is the way to go… I have done this to my stock wrx with my accessport to change the ecu maps for gas and E85 the tuner told me can do the integra the same way I just need a chip ecu with a wide band o2 sensor so he can program…

I have ran e85 with a chip base map ecu without a tune for about a year and a half I was able to drive the car with 1/4 tank gas and the rest of the tank E85… when I filled up normal gas I always top off E85 when I got to 1/4 tank I like the fact it cleaned the inside of my engine one of my injectors started to leak! I got new ones with no more problems so far I cannot really blame them do to the fact they have 270,000 mile on them…

you can do a 50/50 E85/gas mix with you car stock right now…

[QUOTE=TerribleTeg;2293206]It is not worth it.

If say 93 is $3/gallon, you fill up with 10 gallons ($30) and we get say 30mpg. That’ll give us 10 miles per dollar.

E-85 is $2.60/gallon, $26 per fill and get 22mpg (so you flogged it a little). That’ll give us 8.4 miles per dollar.

Also, when being a mainly bolt on setup you wont see much of a performance gain. It would be in the same realm of having 750cc injectors and a pump for an all stock car, if you aren’t adding a ton of compression or some boost it is nearly pointless.[/QUOTE] I agree with him if your not gonna add compression or boost dont even try it bro

ive also done it with my ecu on my evo, but we are not talking about evo and subaru, its a DA…cant just plug in through the obd port and do almost anything on these. but as said about without really high compression or boost its not worth it

I know the DA do not have a obd port…
When I order my chip od0 pr4 ecu form Xenocron they hard wire the circuit board with a plug…
I can buy a usb cable from them that plugs to the the ecu for tuning…

I do get more power running e85 but gas mileage sucks yea its cheaper than gas but you still spend the same amount of money…
you get more power yes it cleans your motor yes do you save money in gas miles no!!!

I know the DA do not have a obd port…
When I order my chip od0 pr4 ecu form Xenocron they hard wire the circuit board with a plug…
I can buy a usb cable from them that plugs to the the ecu for tuning…

I do get more power running e85 but gas mileage sucks yea its cheaper than gas but you still spend the same amount of money…
you get more power yes it cleans your motor yes do you save money in gas miles no!!!

I’ve been on e85 for almost a year now on a stock b16 n/a motor. All I changed on my car was I went to RC 550cc injectors and got it tuned…that’s it. I’m still on the stock fpr, and I was on the stock pump up until a few days ago when I put a Walbro 255 for the turbo set up I’m working on. I went to e85 for emissions reasons yet I still failed emission with it so doing it for that reason isn’t gonna help. Just putting that out there…it wont really help the environment. Around here 93 gas is around 3.70 at the moment and e85 is around 2.90. So yes it’s cheaper. As far as gas mileage I haven’t noticed a significant drop or loss. Only real downside I’ve noticed is you can’t leave it sitting in the tank very long because it seems to go bad relatively quick. Lets say you’ve had half a tank in the for a few weeks, it starts to smell pretty bad as it burns, but the car will still run the same. e85 tends to absorb moisture much quicker than regular gas so that is why it goes bad so quick. As for the performance side of it. Unless you’re boosted, you’re not going to see much of a change. Yes the tuner will be able to run more timing cause e85 doesn’t detonate as easily as regular gas, but it wont be a huge difference in power. All in all I’m glad I switched to it because it’s one less thing I have to do for the turbo set up since it’s already done, and to me it smells amazing =]…and I’ve got 3 stations that sell it within 10 miles of my house. If you really want to switch for whatever reason, consider how close the stations are to you, and consider the amount of cost for the injectors and a tune (pump isn’t needed). If you really wanna do it, then go for it man

How much did the tune cost you?