Cooling issue maybe

The gauge on my dash never goes past half for coolant temp, but the upper radiator hose gets hot and the bottom doesn’t. I know it’s not a thermostat problem because I’ve replaced it twice with new oem pieces. I’m assuming this means the thermostat isn’t opening, but why wouldn’t it open after running for a while? Too rich maybe…

Try flushing your radiator, or better yet - buying a Fluidyne!

But it doesn’t overheat…that’s the weird thing. And I have flushed my system twice, once with prestone cooling system flush stuff.

ttt

ttt

Re: Cooling issue maybe

Originally posted by bryan305
The gauge on my dash never goes past half for coolant temp, but the upper radiator hose gets hot and the bottom doesn’t. I know it’s not a thermostat problem because I’ve replaced it twice with new oem pieces. I’m assuming this means the thermostat isn’t opening, but why wouldn’t it open after running for a while? Too rich maybe…

hmm i think u got it mixed up. the gauge isnt suppse to go past half. suppose to stay a little before half. the top hose is where the thermostat is and the coolant is coming from the engine going to the radiator. after the radiator cools it, it goes back into the engine from the bottom hose. try running the engine for a while till it gets warm- HOT. try squeezing the upper hose with some gloves or something and see if theres flow. if there is the thermostat is fine. if not then it might be stuck closed and probably overheat. running too rich or lean doesnt really have an effect on it.

Nope, it’s just like I said…the upper hose gets hot, the lower doesn’t. The lower hose goes from the bottom of the radiator to the thermostat housing. If there isn’t flow through the radiator it should overheat, but it doesn’t.