CV Axle Removal

I really hope you guys answer/help me out here as the forum has become dead lately, but here’s my dilemma. I embarked on replacing my axles myself. The passenger side acted as if the nut wanted to not budge so i ran up the road let the guys at the place mounting my new wheels and tires hit it with the impact and snug it back…on the way back (no less than 3 miles) i heard it wobbling, ok i took it slow back to the house…my entrance has an incline, so when i pulled in, i’m guessing the angled had the axle come out just enough for it to do w/e…basically it stopped right in it’s tracks. i was able to get it restarted and parked. when i got the car parked i saw the PASSENGER axle out maybe 1/2" from the transmission, which i’m guessing is why the car acted the way it did. the driverside axle was seated fine.

Now i know of this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jydxpsh13WQ

on how to get the axle to pop out…i’ve twisted the axle and done as instructed, and tried to pop it out…is there some chance that the axle is jammed?

I’m currently waiting on my brother to bring a pry bar since i’ve already broken a flathead screw driver trying to get it out.

PLEASE HELP ASAP, thanks

[QUOTE=integra_hot;2290007]I really hope you guys answer/help me out here as the forum has become dead lately, but here’s my dilemma. I embarked on replacing my axles myself. The passenger side acted as if the nut wanted to not budge so i ran up the road let the guys at the place mounting my new wheels and tires hit it with the impact and snug it back…on the way back (no less than 3 miles) i heard it wobbling, ok i took it slow back to the house…my entrance has an incline, so when i pulled in, i’m guessing the angled had the axle come out just enough for it to do w/e…basically it stopped right in it’s tracks. i was able to get it restarted and parked. when i got the car parked i saw the PASSENGER axle out maybe 1/2" from the transmission, which i’m guessing is why the car acted the way it did. the driverside axle was seated fine.

Now i know of this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jydxpsh13WQ

on how to get the axle to pop out…i’ve twisted the axle and done as instructed, and tried to pop it out…is there some chance that the axle is jammed?

I’m currently waiting on my brother to bring a pry bar since i’ve already broken a flathead screw driver trying to get it out.

PLEASE HELP ASAP, thanks[/QUOTE]

The video is not working for me but then again im on my mobile. Did you prep everything for it to be removed like the knuckle/hub off the cv?

Im gonna assume you did… The best way i know is to use two pry bars or flat heads one on each side on the cv thats connected to the tranny for equal pressure pushing it out. Sometimes it can be a b. If your pulling your passenger side cv… Proceedure is to drain the tranny oil before you pull it. And put a fresh one u put it back.

Sometimes, they get stuck at the verge of coming out. If you followed all the steps in the fsm properly and you are at the part where you need to actually pull the axle out, then you just need to hulk it. Yank, smash, pull, do whatever to get it out.

Be careful with that pry bar. Dont mess up any mating surfaces.

yea that’s what i’m scared of is the mating surfaces. i did everything…the lower ball joint is removed and teh spindle is out the way, the only thing lacking is the portion of the ‘pry bar removal’ step, it’s got me frustrated right now. i wont put any new fluid in teh trans as i will be putting in a new trans probably in a week or so pending on this guy having the trans, how quickly i can get a new clutch, flywheel, and rear main oil seal shipped in.

i just wanted to make sure there wasnt something i was missing that i could do to make it easier on myself.

SN: there’s no yankin on this as one of the 3 parts of that boot that’s busted is at the back end of the axle…so it’s like…i’m fukd…i hope i can get it out in the morning. i hate to send it to a shop half done, i’ll feel like a asshole

Have you tried popping it back in all the way and then prying it out evenly? The C-clip at the end of axle could be wedged in crooked from the angle that the car tried to pull the axle out. I often take a piece of wood and give it a solid tap from the transmission side of the axle towards the outside of the car to help force the C-clip to compress quickly when I remove them. Then just pry them out with two flat heads.

Pry bar… One quick, solid push should get it out.

I use a 2.5" wide pry bar, works like a charm. A regular one will work also though.

As said, be aware of what you’re prying against and don’t cause any damage.

i have not tried this. i’m working on the driverside right now, the end with the half shaft…should i try the passenger side, then go back to the driverside? i purchased some prybars tonight to try in the morning

[QUOTE=unified112;2290030]Pry bar… One quick, solid push should get it out.

I use a 2.5" wide pry bar, works like a charm. A regular one will work also though.

As said, be aware of what you’re prying against and don’t cause any damage.[/QUOTE]

cool i will keep this in mind, thanks man

i have not tried this. i’m working on the driverside right now, the end with the half shaft…should i try the passenger side, then go back to the driverside? i purchased some prybars tonight to try in the morning[/QUOTE]

How did it go??? If the driver side i difficult you can unbolt the 3 bolts on the half shaft and pry the cv off its easier that way if its super tough to get out.

alright, cool. thats good to know as well. i’m trying this when the sun comes up this morning

just wanted to note i was NOT able to get the axles out, i put everything back together planning to drive or maybe even have it towed to a shop to have the axles done by them, only to find out that the transmission is indeed completely toast, mainly the throwout bearing, but the trans is trash as well. so it’s parked. hopefully all the trans, clutch, flywheel, rear main oil seal and axles will be sourced and here by friday and hopefully installed that saturday big dreams

Man sorry to hear good luck with everything.

thanks man

Hey- try watching them pull it out. You can learn how they did it. Just a thought.