Damn cowl leak

i had this leak for awhile and i replaced the cowls and it still leaks. would it be possible to just plug the cowl completely? is there any disadvantages to doing this?

Replacing the cowl doesn’t stop the leak, replacing the seals for the box under the cowl which is connected to your HVAC system is what you need to do to fix the leak. If you do that properly there should be no leaks. I’ve done this multiple times and never had a leak afterward.

For some reason the pics from the thread here on g2ic aren’t working, but the ones on h-t are still up:
http://honda-tech.com/acura-integra-6/diy-fixing-passenger-side-cowl-leak-90-93-integra-2548435/

that’s what i meant i replaced the cowl seals. but somehow it still leaks. now would i be able to plug them with something to block off the hole where the cowl seals go completely?

Did you replace the little nipple like rubber seals for the cowl cover mounts? I ended up just purchasing a new cowl cover and all new mounting pieces and seals, but I believe the fix is to replace all the little seals for each hole where the cowl cover is mounted just below the windshield - Part: 91511-SK7-003.

Its also a good idea to replace any worn out weather stripping on the smaller cowl cover. You can find that at your local hardware store.

[QUOTE=Prof007;2327644]Did you replace the little nipple like rubber seals for the cowl cover mounts? I ended up just purchasing a new cowl cover and all new mounting pieces and seals, but I believe the fix is to replace all the little seals for each hole where the cowl cover is mounted just below the windshield - Part: 91511-SK7-003.

Its also a good idea to replace any worn out weather stripping on the smaller cowl cover. You can find that at your local hardware store.[/QUOTE]
That’s not the part number for the rubber seals, the rubber seal p/n is: 91608-SJ6-003

If replacing those did not work and you also did the weather stripping around the edge then I’d pull it apart and check them again to make sure you didn’t damage anything during the install. And if that’s not it then the leak is coming from somewhere else and you’ll want to do some troubleshooting to find that leak.

Could also be the front sunroof drains are rusted out and leaking. I am the person who finally figured out the the cause of the cowl leak many many years ago. Living in south Florida, I have had to figure out the causes of many water leaks. I have had to replace my sunroof pan once, taillight gaskets twice and the drivers side weather strip panel / track once. Water is the enemy of any car interior!

Not to hijack, but… would the sun roof drains leak water into the back of the car on both sides (below the tail lights)? That is my next leak I gotta fix.

The rear drain tubes run down the back of the quarter glass frame and into the bottom of the quarter panels and plug into rubber fittings at the bottom of the quarter panels. If your pan is rusted out their will be rust stains on the outside of the tubes. Easiest way to check is to drop the back of the headliner and look inside with a flashlight. The drain fittings are on both rear corners of the pan.

More than likely you need to replace the tail light gaskets.

I have the same problem on my DA on the passenger side, mines leaking in where the blower motor is so I tore it out and plan on filling the void with expanding spray foam to seal it

Expanding foam will eventually turn into a moldy sponge.