Del Sol?

Does anyone know much about Honda Del Sols?

I’m thinking of buying one for “the wife”.

Basically, it’s small and cute (she likes) and a Honda that I could wrench on, being familiar with Integras (I like).

We could afford to buy something much newer (automatic is a must), but the Del Sol is sort of appealing as a get-around-town-and-have-some-fun car for her even though it’s “old”.

Thoughts?

they’re not quick, and not very roomy, but if she digs the look and doesn’t dislike the slowness and compactness, go for it. they’re not unbelievably awful…

They’re basically just like the civics/integras you’re used to. Personally I’m not a huge fan of the look and they are horribly impractical IMO (2 seater + trunk), but that’s coming from a guy who owns wagons and hatchbacks and never, ever, ever wants to go back to something with a trunk. If she likes it and the hauling space isn’t an issue I say go for it. I for one would love if my gf would show some interest in an older Honda.

Thanks. My wife loves the Del Sol look, “Honey, it’s so cute!” She’s not interested in performance - actually, the contrary. It would park beside my '90 LS which is a bit of a warmed over 5-spd (original owner) and I’m reluctant to sacrifice it on the altar of Love . . .

Thanks. She definitely “digs” it.

At least she’s old skool and isn’t interested in rear view cameras and self-parking nonsense.

Shit man… i still cant get used to backup cameras… i take a glance at them to see if nothing is behind me then back up like normal… i can’t drive by watching the camera…

shit’s making modern drivers weak! lol

I don’t know if she would have a preference but the 96-97 front bumpers are different. They lack the fog light holes and IMO look much better. I’d also encourage holding out for a VTEC model with a b16. The base and SI model both have single cams. Yuck.

I recently bought a 97 civic hatch with the stock d16 and the lack of torque (and power in general) is unbearable. I had no plans of swapping it but after driving it around for a couple of days I started sourcing the necessary parts to replace the engine with a B series. I don’t know how critical it would be to her but IMO it would definitely be worth paying a little more for the VTEC model.

i owned a '95 vtec. was a blast to drive, it is like a go kart on roids. bonus for you, if you’re tall, you’ll be comfortable in it. i am 6’7 and had no issues.

own a 94 vtec model, rare and fun. add small turbo kit and it makes for a quite fun rocket.

my wife owned it before i got it.