Dexron 3 vs Dexron 2 (Auto Tranny Fluid)

So i heard not to use Dexron 3??

Why not?

On the back of the box it says that its compatible with Dexron 2?

So what’s the worst that can happen??

Dexron 3 replaces Dexron 2.
Can you still buy Dexron 2 nowadays ?

honda makes there own atf

so it is ok, to use dexron 3 then? cus i put mobil atf in my car. dexron 3, and i used 3 quarts, the damn thing weas empty

i only recommend HONDA/ACURA atf, never use anything else. my 94 teg i’ve had shifted rough, the previous owner always taken it to some crappy mechanic. I checked all the invoices and noticed they used the lowest grade parts possible! for example, ennzoil oil filters, autolite spark plugs, kirkland battery, some crappy all aluminum radiator that leaks everywhere and warped out the cooling fan… etc etc. any how the teg drove kinda crappy because the tranny kept on slipping from 2nd gear to 3rd. Until i changed the atf to honda atf, dood, now the car shifts like it’s new… i’ll prolly change the atf 2-3 more times this year just to completely flush it out. honda atf costed me $4 a quart…

Originally posted by 91YellowTeg
so it is ok, to use dexron 3 then?

Yes

If you use Honda fluid, now they have a new name y-1 or z-1 ( don’t remember, verify with dealer) it’s supposed to work better than Dexron 3 according to them.

i know this is pure speculation, but since i added a quart of honda atf to whatever crap the previous owner had in it, i havent noticed any slipping at all. didnt realize this until i read this thread. i will never use anything but honda atf.

Putting in new Honda ATF had my teg shifting so smoothly that I was falling asleep at the wheel. That’s some good stuff! :smiley: :cool:

Like not putting Honda power steering fuild messed up my power steering pump, sent it to hell

So i don’t trust anything with my transmission unless it’s honda

3 quarts! Wow, that was really empty - you usually only get out 2 quarts during a drain. The total capacity is something like 6.2? quarts. If you added 3 quarts, about half inside the transmission is non Honda ATF. You might not notice rough shifting until after a few thousand miles. I recommend that you drain & replace with at least 2 quarts of Honda ATF. Unfortunately, with draining alone, you’ll always have some of the dextron 3 stuff left, unless you can flush the system.

Most teg drivers here drive stick, so for auto questions, I always do a search for other honda/acura cars - usually legend and accords. And yes, they say to use Honda ATF only.:open_mouth:

n message