DIY - Replacing an axle (92 RS)

Definitely not a k-series, but not quite off topic since there’s only a few minor differences between this and any other axle swap.

Tools Needed (All hand tools)

• Jack
  • Jack Stand
  • Pry Bar/Long flat head screw driver
  • 24" breaker bar
  • 3/8" Ratchet
  • 17mm 3/8 drive socket
  • 19mm 3/8 drive socket or the tire iron with your spare tire
  • 32mm 1/2 drive sock (axle nut)
  • 5lb sledge
  • Metal Punch
  • Pliers
  • Cotter Pins
  • Axle
  • Possibly a 2x4

[LIST=1]

• With the car on the ground, remove the center cap of your wheel (if you have one) and get access to the 32mm axle nut.

• Using the punch and a hammer/mallet, tap the indented part of the nut out so that once loosened, it will spin freely.
  • Use the 32mm nut and breaker bar and loosen the nut.
  • Use the ratchet and 19mm socket (or tire iron) and loosen the wheel nuts.
  • Jack the car up. *(Please use a jack stand)
  • Finish removing the wheel nuts.
  • Remove the wheel.
  • Finish removing the axle nut.

• Now, take a pair of pliers and remove the cotter pin from the nut below the hub assembly. Once out, take the nut off with a 17mm socket.
  • Repeat this step on the tie rod end to the left of the hub as well.
  • Using the mallet, give the tie rod a few good whacks to free it the same for the control arm on the hub assembly.
  • Taking the punch or the screw driver, tap the axle out of the hub with the mallet.
  • Lift the hub out of the lower arm and away from the axle.
  • Using the pry bar or screw driver, separate the axle from the transmission.
  • Then, slide the old axle out.
  • Take your new axle (should come with a new nut, if not, use your old one) and slide it into the transmission. The large housing should be flush against the transmission.

If not, (like mine) I used a 2x4. Put it against the housing slightly on the boot and tapped it in with my sledge.

• Reverse the above steps and install new cotter pins where needed (mine were rusted and needed to be repaired).

• Properly torque the nuts down, check your Helms for those specs. [/LIST]

Steve

• Just wanted to add…These spindle nuts are notorious for being tough to crack. When I removed mine, I snapped my breaker bar, bought another one and then bent the steel bar i was using for leverage. So to avoid damange or injury, I went to Canadian Tire and had them loosen it with an impact gun for free!

Nice writeup!

Thanks! I’ll be adding a few pics since I need to replace my cotter pins.

Steve

Yea if u can add pics it will be easyer for me. If you want u can send them to my email verbal_760@yahoo.com thanks.

Nah, I can host them on K-Series.com. I just didn’t take pics when I did it.

I’ll snap a few this weekend.

Steve

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISY8bGof3bQ
    i prefer this method for removing the lower balljoints. works like a charm even with a craftsman 3/8" ratchet even though it asks for a 1/2" ratchet. hell you don’t even have to jack up the arm assembly, just insert the ratchet so its snug in there and then stomp on the caliper one time, walla!

I’ve never had a problem just whacking the arm itself with a mini-sledge, but the method in the vid definitely works. :slight_smile:

Steve

Took a few pictures, need to add a few more.

Steve

K,

just a question on the tranny fluid. do you need to drain it first before pulling out axle assembly.

Thanks,

[QUOTE=faceless_el;2145572]K,

just a question on the tranny fluid. do you need to drain it first before pulling out axle assembly.

Thanks,[/QUOTE]

NOPE, i JUST REPLACED BOTH AXLES LAST WEEK, MY FIRST TIME TOO. AND THANKS TO THE LINK ABOVE I USED THAT 3/8-1/2 RATCHET YOUTUBE TIP, WORKS EXCELLENT, NO STRUGGLES.

Why does my service manual say the spindle nut is 22mm?