Engine choice help

Hi again,

Ok, so I’m not able to find a shop for an electric conversion.

The first thing in need of repair is the engine, which has a blown head gasket & 335,000 kms.

I’m not sure which option makes the most sense, best fit, and / or most cost effective.

I would be happy with ~ 200 hp and maybe years from now no more than 275-300 hp.

Here are some options and I’m open to other ideas:

A – have the stock engine with 335,000 kms rebuilt, completely, bore out, balance, etc.

B – stock Integra crate engine then modify with basic bolt-ons & turbo

C – full swap with a K20, K24, B16, B18 etc.

D - vtec B18 motor swap

E - B20 engine and a B16a / itr trans

Thank you for your time, have a great day!
James

I don’t see any mention of budget constraints or your current mechanical ability, both of which impact any guidance big time. If you have good mechanical skills and a decent set of tools rebuilding your stock engine and swapping out the rods and pistons for forged ones in prep for a turbo may be the cheapest way for your power goals. Machine work isn’t that expensive as long as you’re handing the machine shop a bare block and aren’t paying for a shop to remove and tear down the engine in your car. I love the idea of keeping B series engines in DAs, EFs, EGs…but at the current prices I’d have to compare the cost versus a K motor swap which would easily set you up to achieve your power goals with bolt-ons. I bought a pristine, complete B16 long block for $500 back in the day just for the head for a LS-Vtec conversion but those days of readily available cheap B series Vtecs are gone.

Hi, thank you for your reply!

Yes, of course. Budget for the engine is ~ $8k CAD, but could maybe go a little more if something amazing is found.

Sadly I lack tools and mechanical ability.

Would like to full swap with a k20 but quotes for that are $15k - 20k CAD. Is that a common price?

Here’s another problem, I’m not sure what a fair price is for any of these options.

Appreciate the assistance.
James

91tegBC,

This email reply to you couldn’t be delivered but see the following:

Sorry, we were unable to deliver your message to the following address.

<noreply@forum.g2ic.com>:

Unable to deliver message after multiple retries, giving up.

---------- Forwarded message ----------

Hi 91TegBC

$15-20K might be fair if you’re talking about dropping off the car and picking it up turn key ready. I can ask some of my contacts to verify but custom mounts and some of the K specific adapter parts add to the cost. You have to ask yourself are you a naturally aspirated fan vs turbo fan or equally open to both. Again this impacts motor choices. Also honestly ask yourself what power level will you be satisfied at. That’s a big factor in deciding on an engine. I’ve owned my Integra since 1997 and back in the day I went from built B18a, LS-Vtec conversion to Full DA6 B16a drivetrain swap and while that took a lot of time and money (for the time) all that cost a small fraction of doing that today. Example, I purchased a pristine DA6 RSI motor and transmission with all working sensors and accessories included for $650 USD back in the day and no I didn’t forget a 0😂 If you have the answers to the two key questions I ask I could offer up my opinion to consider.

Good questions.

$15-20K is a lot given what that amount invested into the stock engine could do.

I would prefer NA. Trying to avoid the turbo lag… or is that no longer a thing?

Would like to pick up the car from the shop with ~ 200hp.

Once I get bored with that hp, I could see wanting a bit more, max 300hp and hopefully that would be it.

Thanks

I will say modern turbo technology has come a long way and a modern, properly sized ball bearing turbo can easily get you a responsive 300+ whp if the stock motor is built and tuned right. If I were to target 300 whp, naturally aspirated the K-series would be the only way to go expensive as it is. But, for me personally, I don’t think I need 300 whp to have fun in our chassis as it’s reasonably light but it would be fun!

The car has been sitting for over 11 years so I anticipate lots of parts will need replacement.

Brake master
Power steering
Fuel pump
Starter
Alternator
Clutch - current one is definitely slipping, it’s probably stock as we haven’t replaced it.
Transmission, synchro issues
Distributor cap
Injectors

• others probably

How many of these parts do you think would normally come with a K20 package?

By the time I replace all those parts I could possibly be in full engine swap territory?

Even moderately high, maybe 150,000+ kms (open to suggestions) on a K20 would be fine as this car will not be a daily driver.

Appreciate your thoughts. Thanks.

Cheers

See this importer as a quick check (I haven’t used this particular one but I’m listing it as a price reference):

Engine, transmission and ecu included for $8K. But note the warranty, which seems consistent with importers I’ve used. You’ll note many of the items you were concerned with needing replacing on the current motor are not covered just newer:

Look at the prices for the swap specific parts such as motor mounts and exhaust parts needed and the 2nd biggest cost, competent labor to make sure everything works as intended and you have a good baseline on what to expect for a full swap.