Enine dies right after it turns over

Like my title says it dies as soon as I turn it over. Happens when cold, happens when warm… is very intermittent & worse in the morning when I start it for the first time. it will continue to do this until I give it gas. If I tap the gas pedal while turning it over it starts up just fine and stays running.

once the motor is running it runs fine. Check the video below to see what I am talking about.

[video=youtube_share;qby6ALJ-qnE]http://youtu.be/qby6ALJ-qnE?hd=1[/video]

If it’s manual, push-start the car… If it starts, I’d put money on it being your starter. Ig switch is a possibility, but I’m thinking starter.

starter is turning fine. it is like it catches then dies right away.

what is strange is that if I give it gas it starts right up no issues.

Hm. In the video it looks like it cranks for half a second, then stops. Doesn’t look like its cranking enough to start.

If it starts when you apply throttle, then apply throttle and be done with it :stuck_out_tongue:

hard to tell in the vid, but is it shutting off right when you drop the key back to run? also noticed that, for most of the video, when it dies, the instrument cluster lights aren’t coming on. another telltale sign of a failing ign switch. if those assumptions are accurate

yes. it will do that until I tap the throttle to give it gas. then it stays running. is worst when it is cold, and intermittent when it is running.

Adjust idle and or throttle

[QUOTE=unified112;2277306]Hm. In the video it looks like it cranks for half a second, then stops. Doesn’t look like its cranking enough to start.

If it starts when you apply throttle, then apply throttle and be done with it :P[/QUOTE]

That is kinda my take on it… just irritating more than anything lol…

Idle is fine when it is running so adjusting it to fix this would throw it off under normal operation.

absolutely suspect the ign switch then. the contacts are probably dirty or the solder joint is cracked. when you throttle, the voltage increases which overcomes the level of resistance caused by the bad connection. that would be my theory anyway

Hey, that was my second guess!

Good advice there welfare. :wink:

FOund this video posted at clubintegra… honda accord with same issue. Definitely the ignition switch. Welfare nailed it.

//youtu.be/UWP-DcQJRbk

looks easy enough to replace also Just went and looked at the assembly, so I’ll order the part and replace it next weekend.

Thanks guys!!!

[QUOTE=unified112;2277315]Hey, that was my second guess!

[/QUOTE]

haha. you got it, bud.
dj, you can also try cleaning the contacts of the switch with some emery cloth. or if any of the solder joints are cracked, you can just reflow the solder. it’s almost always one of those two issues

I didn’t dig into the steering column too deeply yesterday, but it looks like only a couple screws (well 1 i my case as the other is missing) to remove the housing, and 2 screws holding the switch to the key cylinder.

is it tricky to remove the ingition cylinder to get at the switch at all? Haven’t had to do this but a quick glance it looked relatively simple to do?. Worst case I’ll go read through my CHilton manual and see what it has to say about it.

pretty sure you can remove the switch without taking out the cylinder. IIRC, all you need to remove is the column covers

Super easy, unplug it, unscrew it (like 3 phillips head screws), pull it out. Makes you realize how easily you could steal one of our cars.

Above is right, only the column covers need to come off.

awesome. thanks again guys!