Everything you wanted to know about bandwidth but were afraid to ask.

Alright, I see a lot of people asking questions like this.

Does that waste bandwidth too? Sorry if thats a dumb question, but I dont really know?

Its not a dumb question because not everyone understands computers and how networks work.

It seems that people on here think that when you are posting a picture of your car that picture is taking EXTRA bandwidth. This is simply not true, the only way that it would take extra bandwidth is if the image was stored on G2IC’s server. Most members on here store their pictures on sites such as imagestation or from their own webserver. Everytime the page is loaded up the only bandwidth that g2ic uses is to load the text and the images that are used by the bulletin board software. The image of the persons car is actually taken away from imagestations bandwidth quota (if they even have one).

People often believe that post whoring takes away a TON of bandwidth, while this is true, but there is also another little known habit that also takes away from G2IC’s bandwidth, if you are hitting the refresh button ever minute to see if there’s new messages you are probably taking up just as much bandwidth as your local postwhore. Everytime you hit refresh, your computer sends out a request to have the page reloaded. Then the page is sent out to your computer, but guess what?? This does infact take away from the bandwidth quota of G2IC, because all that information on the page needs to be sent out!! So if you want to save bandwidth, I would suggest that you not hit refresh on the boards so much or even spend every waking hour on the boards.

BTW, if you’re on and the boards are really slow and you think no one posted, hitting the back button to look at the rest of the topics actually saves on bandwidth because it is being loaded off your computer. Internet Explorer and Netscape have this handy thing of where they save the information from the pages you go on, neat eh??

I hope that this clears up any issues that you might have regarding bandwidth and gives you a better understanding of it. If there is any questions that you have regarding this subject, feel free to ask me.

You can check out for yourself about images not taking bandwidth, at the bottom of the page I have put an “I AM” logo on the bottom of the page, right click on it and then select properties, (if you’re on a mac I have no freakin idea how to do this nor do I care :p) if you look at the address line, you’ll notice it comes off Oregon State University’s engineering server, not G2IC’s

:up: (the thumbup does take away from G2IC’s bandwidth every time you or anyone else looks at this page)

Stuck! :up:

I am enlightened! Thanks Josh, I understand a little better now.

Originally posted by Romeyo07
I wonder how much bandwidth g2ic has a month

You would have to ask your local admin, which I am not. (at least on this site)

The reason that avatars were uploaded to G2IC’s server is the browser software has a program within it to automatically make avatars smaller if they don’t fit within the desired size. Problem with hosting avatars on people’s personal servers is they will put images that are for 1 way too large in size, making you have to sidescroll for text. You can correct this with HTML code, but the problem is then if you have a large image, the large image still fully has to load and sloppily by the browser gets resized. This creates long and unnecessary load times.

Nope, shouldn’t take anymore than a regular post. All quoting does is takes that caption of text and adds it to the html code. Text does not take much bandwidth, what are real bandwidth killers are opjects that aren’t generated by html code. Such as for exampe, the G2IC logo up the lefthand corner, its an image, not code. But there is code used to tell it that it should be up there.

So to answer your question, quoting a post is a very marginal increase in bandwidth, almost to the point where it really is insignifigant.

No, actually I dropped out of the computer science program at our school. Turns out I REALLY hate programming. During high school I worked as a web developer, basically made three sites for a computer cabling company (one site for each division). Lately the whole web thing has slowed down, but that’s because I’m in school. I’m actually getting a business degree, but my area of study is MIS, and I’m working on a multimedia minor. Currently I work in a computer lab on campus where I basically do nothing but surf the net and study. Most of the knowledge I’ve aquired is from farting around and breaking computers, then having to fix them, setting up my own servers etc. I used to dialup other computer via hyperterminal just to see what I could do, even though I really didn’t know what you could do with it. Anyways, now I’m a lot more into computer networks but I have a feeling that my web design experience will probably take me farther when trying to go and get a job.

good write up playa!

can archivethis be used in off topic?

or does it really matter anymore now that neil has stopped moving those posts over to the archives? oooohhhhhhhh:shock:

Macintosh the blacksheep of computers.

I own and love it.

I don’t understand the avatar problem, if your getting your avatar/jpeg/gif
from a site how is that not like having your pics hosted by a imagestation/server?

Your avatar is being browsed from a specific site unless you got it inside your hardrive.
I just miss the avatar, its like having a cool T-shirt you like to wear around town.:shock: :cool: :confused:

Doesn’t “quoting” someone on the message boards take up bandwith?

Josh, you studying computer science or somethin’?

Thanks!!!

Now people can post pictures more often!!! I hate going through someones links and photo book.

josh, you’re wasting bandwidth… :roll:

j/k! :stuck_out_tongue:

great information, indeed… thanks!

yeah josh you are right on. i thought peeps already knew that hosting pics somewhere else doesn’t take up bandwidth… that’s one of the reasons why neil got rid of avatars. cause those were hosted on g2ic servers…

i’m glad we don’t have pics in our sigs… some of those other boards get ridiculous with the pics… i can’t even find what the person is trying to say half the time… hehe…

Originally posted by Mr. Burns
[B]I don’t understand the avatar problem, if your getting your avatar/jpeg/gif
from a site how is that not like having your pics hosted by a imagestation/server?

Your avatar is being browsed from a specific site unless you got it inside your hardrive.
I just miss the avatar, its like having a cool T-shirt you like to wear around town.:shock: :cool: :confused: [/B]

the way the avatar works is that it uploads it into g2ic’s server. most people’s avatars were hosted on g2ic.

Originally posted by Mr. Burns
[B]Macintosh the blacksheep of computers.

I own and love it. [/B]

Ya! mac Playa for life.

Originally posted by Romeyo07
50 GB