Exhaust Systems (TX)

If I was to get one of thoes cheap oversized mufflers off of eBay and had it put on. Then went and had my car inspected, would I be hassled? :think:

get your car inspected first…then put the “cheap oversized muffler” on

Originally posted by Ladybug
get your car inspected first…then put the “cheap oversized muffler” on

Thats what I am gonna do. But in the future, I want to know what will happen.

no, you wont get hassled. It makes the car louder, but unless its over 95db you shouldnt have any problem as it doesnt effect your emissions. On the down side, just the muffler wont give hardly any power at all. Your probably better off getting a cat-back.

Re: Exhaust Systems (TX)

Originally posted by blade13432
If I was to get one of thoes cheap oversized mufflers off of eBay and had it put on. Then went and had my car inspected, would I be hassled? :think:

Probably not. I had an aftermarket muffler, 2.5" tubing all the way back, and a CarSound 2.5" high flow cat on my old 96 Civic; no resonator either, so it was LOUD (too loud). When I got it inspected this May (in The Colony TX; just outside Dallas, but still in an emissions county - Denton), it blew about as clean as a D16Y8 with bad rings can blow (I had them do a dyno run instead of the OBD-II test just so I could see the numbers)… it passed emissions fine, the only “hassle” I got was the inspector guy just wanted to know what I’d done to the car, plus he suggested I either get a resonator to quiet down the exhaust or keep it below 3000 RPM if a cop was anywhere near me.

Last year though, when I lived in Dallas, they said they’d have to fail it because I had an AEM CAI on it; I’d poured over the TxDOT website, specifically what can/can’t pass for inspections, and had printed it and brought it with me; I showed it to him and he passed it after that.