Few questions about my GS-R...

Bought this DB2 about a week ago and was just wondering on some tune up parts, being it is not OEM. The motor is orginal b17a and ys1 tranny. Has a 97 GSR head and skunk 2 pro manifold with some throttle body i dont know of in which ill take pics of tomorrow. My questions are which plugs should i run? 97gsr or 92-93 gsr plugs. This goes for wires to, it has some ungodly big “race” wires that i want to swap for some ngk blues. He claims to have a chipped:base mapped ecu but i havnet gone that far yet. My Issue is that sometimes (i mean once every other day if that) it feels sluggish or misses while highway driving. But, once i get on it it clears up. Note: the car was sitting forever cause the previous owner never drove it and needed a jump to get it going (no jumps ne more). Could it be impureities in the fuel system? Vehicle idles perfect, no starting problems fires up first time every time. Gimmie some input. soon as i get info on plug/wires ill start there.

Thanks Yall
R1

Ohh yea having this 97 gsr head and b17a block… Which timing belt kit should i get (2nd gen or 3rd gen). Need to know so that i can change it for my own self satisfaction being he doesnt know last time it was changed. Thanks

R1

The timing belt depends on the water pump, which ever water pump you have thats the belt you need. The plugs and wires i believe are the same. if not i would say 97gsr since thats the head you have and thats where they mount. And the sluggish running may be the fuel or just needs a tune up, i would personally drain the tank(dont really need to) and refill it with new gas, new fuel filter and some injector cleaner. It may also be a larger problem but much less likely.

Thanks lawngnome. Yea imma try plugs wires and fuel treatment/injector cleaner first. Hell ill let you drive it round sunday n tell me what you think haha. Dont forget to load up that bumper n bring it :slight_smile:

R1

Haha alright.
You really want me driving? I might get scurred when vtak kicks in… Lol

Well didnt need do any fuel treatment or shit like that. Just changed the big ass gay ass “race” wires the ass put it with some NGK blues, Platinum plugs, and new Valve cover gasket set grommets n all. Noticed when i pulled the big ass fuckin BLUE Monster cables for plug wires out there was water on top of the plugs…did some reasearch and found that cheap wires can do this or the car sitting for long periods outside (specially in FL). In my case the car was sitting forever and had the big wires so problem fixed…Fuckin thing runs like a champ now so clean no more sluggish ness, mis fire feelings, or anything. So far so good.

R1