Finally cleared my 91 tails!!!

Cleared my taillights last Saturday with my uncle. Here’s some pics. They’re taken with a cheapo wal-mart digital camera, so the quality isn’t the best.

Oh, and here’s another treat for you 90-91 guys:

I love my 91!!! :inlove: :up:

are you using clear bulbs in them? i would think you’ll be able to see the color of the bulb if they were either amber or blue. i cleared mine too but the bulbs in mine are blue (cheapo hyperwhites) so you see a tint of blue where the bulbs sit.

I’ve still got the amber bulbs in them, but i guess the resolution on the camera isn’t good enough or it’s not at the right angle to see them. But in person you can see them in there.

are you gonna sand them?

can ya explain how you cleared them? Or did you do exactly what was in the Teg Tips

sand them? don’t know what you mean. Here’s what we did. Put the taillight in the oven at about 200 degrees for about 10 minutes and then work it open with screwdrivers and towels. Had to do a couple of cycles so the glue would stay soft. Then we took out the piece with the pink lines and wet-sanded it with 220, then 400, then 2000, then meguairs cleaner, then the polish (clear and like glass!). We cleaned out the housing, took the diffusers out and painted the housing with duplicolor chrome paint. One of the posts says not to put the diffusers on the top back in, but we test-assembled it both ways and used a battery charger to see what the lights would look like and I liked it better with them in, so we put them in. Then we heated everything back up, squirted in some more silicone, and put everything back together. Like I said, the camera I used is cheap so the quality isn’t the greatest. As long as you’re careful, it’s pretty easy and straightforward. Anyways, enjoy! :up:

Looking good! :up:

That looks real good!! But do u have the use the oven to take them apart? Because I need gaskets in both of my housings cuz water gets in when I was it or it rains, so can I just pull them apart with out the use of the oven or do I need the heat to make it come apart more easily?:ok: :rofl:

You need some method of heating the glue that holds the housing together otherwise you’ll definitely break it. If you don’t want to clear it but just want to stop the leaking, you don’t need to take it apart. It’s probably leaking because of the gasket between the taillight and the body of the car. It gets old and hard and allows water to drop into the housing from behind. If you look at the taillight when it’s off the car, you’ll see that there are holes in the back where the lightbulbs are. At least for me, the taillight gasket was just funneling the water right into the housing, so it was always totally clouded and watery after it rained. When we cleared the taillights we also made new gaskets out of foam weatherstripping and some pieces of the old gasket, then used a lot of that goopy black permatex sealant stuff when putting them on the car. No leaks so far! Of course we resealed the housing too, but I don’t think that’s what let it leak. On a side note, we used the same permatex stuff to fix the passenger side water leak and no more leaks from that either!

just finished mine and was totally worth it!

I have a crack in one of my lights that lets a little water in. Do you think that when I put them in the oven the crack will seal up?

you dont want to heat the lights up til they’re hot enough to seal the crack cause it will cause serious warping of the plastic. try using clear silicon to seal the crack from the inside once you get them apart.

yeah ok that sonds like it will work. thanks

:bowdown: can i have them,:bow:

That looks nice!!! Maybe I will do that next weekend. :slight_smile: Were the pink lines just like a sticker?

what kind of sealant did you use to put them back together and where did u get it???

omg very nice :drool: I know what I’m doin this weekend

Originally posted by n2tegs2
sand them? don’t know what you mean. Here’s what we did. Put the taillight in the oven at about 200 degrees for about 10 minutes and then work it open with screwdrivers and towels. Had to do a couple of cycles so the glue would stay soft. Then we took out the piece with the pink lines and wet-sanded it with 220, then 400, then 2000, then meguairs cleaner, then the polish (clear and like glass!). We cleaned out the housing, took the diffusers out and painted the housing with duplicolor chrome paint. One of the posts says not to put the diffusers on the top back in, but we test-assembled it both ways and used a battery charger to see what the lights would look like and I liked it better with them in, so we put them in. Then we heated everything back up, squirted in some more silicone, and put everything back together. Like I said, the camera I used is cheap so the quality isn’t the greatest. As long as you’re careful, it’s pretty easy and straightforward. Anyways, enjoy! :up:

how did u put everything back together…did u use a heat gun???..are there other methods without using heat gun???

nice tailights