Fixing Driver's window switch How-To

So I’ve been slowly loosing the ability to bring up the passenger side window when using the driver’s switch. Going down was not a problem. The passenger switch worked so this told me it was in the driver switch itself. Most likely dirty contacts. Instead of looking for another a a junk yard and it still would have dirty contacts, I decided to look at what it would take to fix it.

My first thought was to remove all the screws and then the circuit board on the back side. This is not the way to do it! But for science sake, I took the board off anyways to see what was on the other side. After desoldering the pins and removing the screws, I discover there is no way in from that side.

The proper way in is by simply lifting up the rubber cover under the switches. The passenger switch can be removed with a flat head screw driver pried in between the black housing and the white plastic.

Once the white plastic part is out, the two brass/copper/nickel rockers will just fall out. Clean them up with a paper towel. The four pads that the rockers make contact with will be covered with black soot. Some can be flaked off. I used alcohol to get all of it off.
The same should be done to the driver’s window switch, except it can’t be popped out. So cleaning it requires thin tools to reach in and clean the pads. The pictures below shows some before and after.

Step4.jpg

Step10.jpg

And here’s the last one with a clean pad.

Hopefully this can help others same a few bucks and fix what I am sure is a common problem.

Step11.jpg

Doing this allowed you to roll your window up at normal speed?

I only retested it with the engine off and the key in the ignition position. Based on the speed that it went up, it seemed normal. I will try it again tomorrow with the engine running, and post a video of it.

:up:
I did this a long time ago and it definitely helped a lot. But it won’t help in every situation, sometimes the contacts are physically worn out too much. In those instances I’ve actually soldered a small piece of metal to the contact so that it’s flat again.