Forged Piston Tech stuff....(opinions please)

Okay, time to get things straight. I’m an all motor guy, just recently built a sleeved B18C1 with Endyn 12:1 pistons and GE Sleeves. I was really unhappy with the noise that the Pistons made when the car was cold. It would sound like a deisel for at least 5 minutes after starting.
Anyway, I tore the block back apart after only 100 miles to make sure everything was doing just fine. All clearances (checked by the machine shop while I was helping) were dead on.

Main and Rod Bearing clearances: .0015"
Piston to pin clearance: .0008"
Pin to rod clearance: .0005"
Cylinder to wall clearance: .0027

No scuffing or anything on the sleeves or pistons. Oil looks good. Compression numbers were 270psi across the board before I took it apart. So you know the noise was loud enough for me to think something was wrong.

So now I’m thinking it’s just the design of the Endyn piston that’s causing the noise. I talked with a guy that said he used to use nothing but Endyn in his customers engines he would build, but after having almost all of them return with the deisel motor sound complaint, he switched to a different piston.

After doing a ton of research on forged pistons, I found that there are really only two types of alloys that most manufacturers use.

2618 and 4032 Aluminum.

2618 is a high strength aerospace aluminum alloy. This specially formulated alloy includes elements of nickel, copper, magnesium, iron and 0.25% or less silicon content. The combination of these elements provide for the ultimate in high temperature strength and fatigue properties. Being a very low silicon alloy that has a high coefficient of thermal expansion, 2618 requires greater piston to cylinder wall clearance. This material is ideally suited for high cylinder pressures and skirt loads, as well as elevated combustion chamber temperatures. Applications range from blown, turbo, and nitrous to engines with high mechanical compression ratios. 2618 is 17% stronger than 4032.

4032 is a high strength aluminum alloy with 12% silicon content as the primary alloying agent. These silicon particles are extremely hard and durable and provide a wear resistant surface for the rings, pins and skirt contact areas. Additionally, with the high percentage of silicon, this alloy has a low coefficient of expansion. With 4032, much tighter piston to cylinder wall clearances can be achieved. The end result is a much quieter running engine on cold start-ups’ as well as a more stable piston with less rock over in the cylinder bore. These properties make 4032 an ideal choice for street and many mild racing applications.

JE uses 2618 for JE, and 4032 for SRP.

Arias uses both 2618, and 4032 (depending on what you ask for). If you have a star on the under the piston boss you have 4032. If not you have 2618.

Wiseco uses 4032

Not sure what Ross uses

Not sure what CP pistons use

So now I’m thinking that the design of the piston is most influential on how loud the piston is regardless of material used. Things such as skirt lenght, pin offset, compression height, weight of piston, etc. I guess I’m just looking for answers.

I used a piston that was said to be very quiet, and it’s louder than hell on start up. I’ve used JE pistons before and they were not this loud. Some swear Arias are the quietest pistons. Some say Arias are the loudest. I’ve come to find out that it’s open to interpretation. No one is going to agree on what is loud or quiet, because everyone has a different opinion on what LOUD is. I consider loud to be defined as when it makes enough noise for me to think something is wrong. That’s loud when it comes to pistons.

I would pay for a new set of pistons if it meant I could get rid of even some of the noise. Should I stay with the Endyn piston or switch to something else? Any input you guys have, or things to add would be greatly appreciated. If you have a quiet set of forged pistons, please put what piston and what your piston to wall clearance is set at. Thanks.

Dan, there’s no one on this board that I respect more when it comes to engine building (and I think this goes for pretty much everyone else on the board too). But IMHO, as long as nothing’s wrong, if I were you I’d stick with the Endyns. You keep saying it’s loud enough to make you THINK something’s wrong. But if the clearances are all dead on and there’s no signs of any damage of any sort, I would leave it.

my $.02

ARCHIVETHIS

Later,
BR

I think I’m going to have to go with Rio on this one. Perhaps the noise is just another downside to having a built performance engine; just like having to use premium gas. Most of us don’t really understand what you’re going through here and many would think that they could get used to some noisy pistons for 200+ whp. Well we’re all just noobs.
I guess if it’s so bad that you can’t get used to it maybe you can get a remote starter so at least while the car is warming up you don’t have to listen to it. :shrug:

dan,
what does endyn use (the ones you had installed)? 4032? if endyn uses the 4032, and you say that it is the design of the piston that makes the noise, then get a different piston.

i would say get the arias 4032 piston in the cr and bore you want and need.

i KNOW that the noises bother you and you would have a difficult time accepting them as “normal” or “usual”.

jeff

PS - still waiting for instructions for those main bearings i am holding for you…

Well Dan, you seem to be answering most of your own questions.

Although I have not yet turned over the engine I built with Endyn pistons, upon comparision to rollerwaves to other wiseco pistons, they do have very different skirt designs while maintaining the same clearances. If its of your interest, my startup noise is MINIMAL with 0.0028" clearance with my custom “IB Spec” wiseco’s.

Damn, those pistons are SEXY!!

I used to run off the shelf 9:1 dished srp pistons that were real quiet on cold starts and mute in a one or two minutes. While the shape of the piston affects the amount of noise im sure piston slap is mainly based on the amount room the piston has to rattle against(piston to wall clearance) and the piston skirt height. If I was concerned about piston slap I’d go for SRP affordable and quiet.

Here’s some info on forged pistons and the alloy’s avaliable.

arias - 2618 or 4032 alloy available in high or low silicone

JE/SRP -2618, 4032, and high-silicon 2618 alloys available

Ross - low silicon 2618 alloy

Venolia - no silicon 2618 Alloy .005 clearance (your worst nightmare pistons)

Wiseco - 4032 alloy high silicon and wiseco does have 2618 alloy low silicon but im not sure if thats only avaiable for custom pistons

CP - 2618 alloy and 4032 alloy

hope things work out

I have a set of SRP forged pistons in my motor and it sounds no different then stock in my motor( LS bottom end). That piston slap is common with most forged pistons. I have a set of JE pistion in my Buick GN and that thing sounds like a Big block chevy until it comes up to temperature. The noise sucks, this I know. But your not doing any damage what so ever. Mine has been doing that for 5 years now with no problems and my compression is mint right across the board, and she still rips off bottom 10 sec numbers. If its out right now and it obviously bothers you enough to pull it. Then sell them off and look for something less noisey like the SRP pistons (very strong and very quiet). If it s not your nature to accept a noisey piston, than by all means change them. Don’t get comfortable with things you don’t like, because you do have a choice.

i got arias forged pistons havent really noticed any piston slap noise or nething or that nature. all sounds normal to me

I have SRP’s in mine & have noticed no noise from the pistons.

Dan, maybe you should contact Larry at Endyn. Maybe he can give you some info on why the Endyn/Wiseco slugs make so much noise. I’m using Endyn/Wiseco’s [9.2:1, 84.5mm] and have yet to start the motor. Vince at Golden Eagle built the motor, and I know he used his own clearance specs. Either way, it’s worth a shot.

I used JE 10.5CR pistons on stock rods and they sounded as quiet as stock.

Maybe molycoating the skirts would help if you haven’t already?