Full B18A1 Build Non Vtec questions

I am looking to build my mosty stock Da into a 280+hp car and i am wondering if this is possible with no-vtec. As of now i have Header + Test pipe, cat back, and cold air. I have been looking for intake manifolds but it seams hard to find once for non vtec cars so i am wondering if i could get some help on what parts to use and ware to find them. any help on this would be very usefull

not really doable…

google is your friend: http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2108181

would it be doable with boost added to it i was thinking about adding a turbo later on

A turbo non-vtec B-Series can make 800+hp. Anything is possible with enough boost, and money.

ahhh… you didnt mention turbo in the original post…

thats because i wanted to see how much i could make all motor. I have heard of ls vtec making up to 200 just motor with stock internals. What do you think the most wswould be outa just motor or is boost worth it. I am looking to go fast in a straight line and corner.

Do you use Google much? A simple search like “all-motor B18B” could return many, many results and most of your questions would be answered.

The most power you’d see on a NA B18B would be about 220-230whp. But that would be with MUCH work… Ported/polished head/combustion chamber, new springs/retainers and a set of aggressive cams, a great intake manifold and header… the block would need to be bored out a bit, and you’d need some high (12.0+:1) compression pistons. Of course you’d need ARP/GE/AEBS studs everywhere.

Is boost ‘worth’ it? Of course it is… its the easiest way to get power. But if you want a turbo setup to be reliable, you need to address the motor, as well as use good quality non-eBay parts. There are some cheap products you can get, but the major components of any system should be a proven product.

A minimum of an engine rebuild is a good start… but if you want to push some serious numbers, replacing stuff with aftermarket units is the way to go. That way the parts can withstand the pressure/rpm of the turbo/motor.

The main determining factors of what is best for you are:
-What is planned for the car? A Daily-Driven car that you can hit the track with on the weekends? Solely a weekend-warrior that won’t see much daily driving?

• What is your budget like? If you have a 2-3k budget, you probably won’t have the most bullet proof/reliable turbo setup, but you could have a pretty mean and reliable all-motor B18B for that amount.

Most all of this has been covered many, many, many times. Search for all-motor and turbo builds and see what it takes to get a motor to the level you’re wanting.

So do you mean turbo or all motor?
Please make it more clear.

i am really looking for all motor maybe even a nice all motor low compression for boost later on down the road and it is hard to find someone who has not gone with 12.1 compression so to your question of all motor or boost i would say all motor with low compression that way if i want more power down the road i can just boost

As I said, what is your budget?

around 4k

You can get new rods/pistons for about 1k.
Cams/intake manifold/header for maybe $700.
Bearings/Seals/ARP studs/Machine Work/Assembly for 1k
Port/Polished head for ~$600
Then about $400 for Dyno Tuning.

With that you could hit 180whp, give or take a few horses depending on the tune and cams/pistons used. If you went with low compression (9.5’ish:1) and turbo cams you might only hit like 150whp… But once the turbo setup was installed down the road, it would perform better than if you used high compression and NA-oriented cams.

Or on the other hand; You could spend $800 on a stock-rebuild, and the rest on a turbo setup. Stock (GOOD condition) B18Bs can hit about 270-300whp on stock internals and boost. You just can’t rev them high or else they’ll come apart on you. The LS rod bolts are the same ones they use in D-Series motors, they can’t handle high revs.

Ok, just so you don’t confuse people, normally when the term all motor is used it refers to a build with high compression, in hopes of making high hp. Generally the term rebuild or built motor would work better in your case.

Unified broke it down best for you!

I did essentially what you are looking to do before I pieced together my turbo setup.
I built a lower compression motor, 9.5 - 10.1 cmp, with Pro 1s and drove that for about a year. I made my own map and it was actually still fun to drive. Granted it was no hp monster but still fun.

In all honesty I would say you really need to do some research for yourself, that is always the best answer. Use Honda-tech or something and search through all the information there. You can help youself out a lot!

Good luck!

[QUOTE=unified112;2203780]Do you use Google much? A simple search like “all-motor B18B” could return many, many results and most of your questions would be answered.

The most power you’d see on a NA B18B would be about 220-230whp. But that would be with MUCH work… Ported/polished head/combustion chamber, new springs/retainers and a set of aggressive cams, a great intake manifold and header… the block would need to be bored out a bit, and you’d need some high (12.0+:1) compression pistons. Of course you’d need ARP/GE/AEBS studs everywhere.

Is boost ‘worth’ it? Of course it is… its the easiest way to get power. But if you want a turbo setup to be reliable, you need to address the motor, as well as use good quality non-eBay parts. There are some cheap products you can get, but the major components of any system should be a proven product.

A minimum of an engine rebuild is a good start… but if you want to push some serious numbers, replacing stuff with aftermarket units is the way to go. That way the parts can withstand the pressure/rpm of the turbo/motor.

The main determining factors of what is best for you are:
-What is planned for the car? A Daily-Driven car that you can hit the track with on the weekends? Solely a weekend-warrior that won’t see much daily driving?

• What is your budget like? If you have a 2-3k budget, you probably won’t have the most bullet proof/reliable turbo setup, but you could have a pretty mean and reliable all-motor B18B for that amount.

Most all of this has been covered many, many, many times. Search for all-motor and turbo builds and see what it takes to get a motor to the level you’re wanting.[/QUOTE]

Seems like you know your stuff man, I know a little here and there. But I’m looking for informations and opinions. I have a 91 integra bone stock right now. Sold my b16 head as I no longer wanted to do an LS/VTEC. I have a turbo setup now. I was planning on boosting it with the stock block and pushing 10 lbs with a good tune but I want it as a daily driver that I can also race at race events in summer. I was thinking forged pistons, some rods, and arp bolts. For sure i would port and Polish the head for better air flow. Would you recommend I bore the block a little? How about sleeving? And what brand of pistons wiseco? I believe an ls is 81 or 81.5 not sure but would I bore to 82? Any input would be appreciated thanks!

ported ls head

@mario_da9 if your interested i have a ported ls head that im looking to get rid of along with some crower valve train and 404 cams shoot me a text 713 998 452o