GC sleeve bolt.

I just got a used set today and found that one of the sleeves has a rounded allen bolt…(you know the one that holds the adjuster) kind of like this one

How do I get it out??

Any help pls?? any ideas will be tremendously appreciated. Thank you.

Try a screw extractor. If not you can get a crappy allen wrench and JB weld it into the set screw, then turn it out with a locking plier.

thats ghetto. also if i’m not mistaken the bolts on the GC sleeve are recessed inwards, and can only be accessed within. meaning u can’t put pliers on it. (not 100%).

but try getting a torx bit. it should work.

use an allen wrench?

Thanks both of you. I was thinking maybe heck saw the bolt…??? will that work?? :slight_smile:

Dude its rounded…

completely? or can the allen wrench barely nip the sides? cuz if thats the case and its not a perfect circle, u can probably catch it with an torx bit. just make sure its a size that fits in there pretty snug, then give it a go. cuz even the one on that pic u posted, can be removed with a torx bit.

well it can barely grip. but I’ll just try a heck saw between the little space it has on the adjuster.

why not just drill it out ?

if none of the above works… you can always take a dremel to it make a slot right thru the middle and take a big screw driver to it. dont for get to spray it with WD40 before you start… makes things alot easier.

ed

have you tried pounding in a slightly larger allen or torx head? If its SAE, a metric may fit tight enough to back it out.

[QUOTE=Squeezethis;2044275]thats ghetto. also if i’m not mistaken the bolts on the GC sleeve are recessed inwards, and can only be accessed within. meaning u can’t put pliers on it. (not 100%).

but try getting a torx bit. it should work.[/QUOTE]

I know theyre recessed, i have them. Reread what i said. Im not saying to grab the screw with the pliers, but to use JBweld or liquid steel to fasten an old allen wrench into the screw.

Here, put a dab of JB weld on the end of an allen wrench. Then put the wrench into the screw as if you were going to take it out normally. Now leave the wrench in there until the JB weld sets up. Now the screw and wrench are one peice. Turn the wrench with a plier and the screw will turn too. Just be careful not to get anything on the threads inside the sleeve.

Archon has a good idea too, i do that with slightly rounded bolts sometimes. Often an SAE tool will fit metric close enough that you can pound it on/in and it will grab enough for you to get it out.

Screw extractor is the best idea.

JB weld and pounding in a different sized/shaped tool are the next best options.

2nd and 3rd best ideas are useless because the screw extractor will work like a charm. I can’t believe this thread got this long already, lol.

I’ll try JB weld. Thanks u guys are the fkn best.

Like i said id try the screw extractor first. you dont wanna get jb weld where it shouldnt be.

screw extractor.

honestly, that is the only real option. i wouldn’t do JB weld unless it was ABSOLUTELY necessary. that shit can get sloppy and if you get it on the threads, you’re gonna be pissed.