Gen 2 motor swap recommendations?

I’m planning to do a motor swap into my 92 GS. It has 100K miles on it. I was wondering if I should swap in the jdm B16A sir motor (because of non-OBD), a B18C, or just rebuild my B18A. I’m torn between going turbo, supercharged, or NA. I want about 200 whp… with good response and reliability. I have about $6,000 to spend on parts (I don’t have to pay for labor, my friend owes me a favor!). I heard the B18A was the best for turbo… if I did the B16A or B18C, I would consider the Jackson Racing system. I would love to go NA but 200 HP at the wheels seem a little out of reach for a daily driver. But man would that be cool… B18C high compression stroker motor with TODA intake manifold (the one w/ the individual throttle bodies… HELL YEAH!), cams, head-work, boy would that be cool! But yeah, let me know your opinions everybody. The more the marrier! Oh and I have over $5,000 invested into the wheels, suspension, and brakes so please don’t tell me to sell and buy a gen 3. No offense to the Gen 3 heads, but I just think the Gen 2 looks so much cooler especially for JDM, thanks!

Re: Gen 2 motor swap recommendations?

Originally posted by 92captivaGS
Oh and I have over $5,000 invested into the wheels, suspension, and brakes so please don’t tell me to sell and buy a gen 3. No offense to the Gen 3 heads, but I just think the Gen 2 looks so much cooler especially for JDM, thanks!

you will never hear that here, this site is dedicated to G2’s and we all love them. If we wanted G3’s we wouldn’t be here, lol.

as for your engine swap plans. well, $6k is cutting it pretty close if you wanna go turbo, but you could do it, depending on what type of setup you want to run. Getting 200whp with only $6k probably isn’t gonna happen, or at least not be as reliable as you want.

rule out the b16a if you’re going for 200whp. then you have 4 options:
-turbo your b18a (may not last long)
-rebuild and strengthen your b18a and then turbo it
-swap in a b18c
-swap in a b18c and turbo it

Personally i’d go for the all motor b18c just because i’m a big fan of all motor setups. But 200whp all motor is going to get expensive (however a turbo setup is going to be very expensive too). I do think you should know though that 200whp in a b18c can definitely be streetable, if you pick the right parts you can have a very reliable, very easy to drive 200whp motor (example: G2Guru)

don’t even consider a SC as an option. Getting one to fit into the G2 engine compartment is very difficult. It can be done (and has… i think only twice though) but its going to take a lot of labor and a lot of money. Not really worth the trouble since you can just go turbo instead.

You could go with an LS/VTEC, CR/VTEC, B16A, B17A, B18C, and any of those can be turbocharged. It all depends how much money you want to spend. You could also go with your stock motor and slowly build up an LS/VTEC Turbo with another block. Why do you have to rebuild your engine after 100K miles? If you are looking for a good price on a B16a go here: www.hondamotorsonline.com
They also carry other honda engines I believe.

yeah i know!

I’m using this same thread/post for different web links i was using the cut and paste method, funny huh? $6K isn’t enough for parts only?

Re: Re: Gen 2 motor swap recommendations?

Originally posted by 91IntegGS
[B]
rule out the b16a if you’re going for 200whp. then you have 4 options:
-turbo your b18a (may not last long)
-rebuild and strengthen your b18a and then turbo it
-swap in a b18c
-swap in a b18c and turbo it

[/B]

option #5

swap in a b20+new clutch and turbo charge it. sell you b18a and have some cash left over.

Re: Re: Re: Gen 2 motor swap recommendations?

swap in a b20+new clutch and turbo charge it. sell your old b18a and use it toward your rims, brakes, and suspension. [/B][/QUOTE]

I already have the rims, brakes, and suspension, thanks though! Is $6,000 enough for a swap of that magnitude? B20?

sry read it wrong. give me a break its 3 in the morning. you can swap in a b20b that already has the low compression pistons in it. then you can get a drag turbo kit and a boost controler. while you are swapping in the b20 you can install a stage 2 or 3 clutch and get a lightweight flywheel.

b20b - around 900 shipped www.hondamotorsonline.com
drag turbo - around 3 grand
clutch around - 400
flywheel - 250-400

b20? do a search for b20 on the message board and read up.

What do i need to do in terms of matching the head to the block? I’m guessing that you’re saying to use my head off the B18A right? Any fabrication i.e. porting or drilling necessary? I’m not sure I trust any of the shops in my location to do such a swap, I’m in Seattle. How about motor mounts and all the little misc. things, I need details man :), Thanks!

hey, how do you post with a quote seperated like what 91integGs and 20v did?

you dont need to swap heads or anything. you need the b20b longblock:
http://www.hondamotorsonline.com/shop/sc2000search.cgi?what=category&keyword=JDM%20USDM%20Engines&hit=5
then you just use the tranny off your b18a and bolt it up to the b20b. but while you have the tranny off and the motor out you might as well put in a good clutch to handle more power. you can use your stock ecu so you dont have to mess with a vtec ecu or anything. the b20b is probley the easiest swap you can do. it is all bolt in and you dont have to frabricate anything. you will have to use some parts off your b18a like the tranny and intake manifold. check the teg tip section. there is a engine swap guide.

Read this:
http://www.g2ic.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=16845&highlight=b20b
Read this:
http://www.g2ic.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=5161&highlight=b20*turbo
then read this:
http://www.g2ic.com/forums/announcement.php?forumid=2
then use this
http://www.g2ic.com/forums/search.php?
:search:

what kind of rims you got? cuz if they suck then sell those too and put more money into the motor first.

Oh No! Never…! I have the Racing Hart Evo C2 in 17" I wanted the Spoon/Rota/RegaMaster 16x7 jdm looking 5-spokes but my AEM big brake kit won’t fit in them, oh well!

Re: Re: Gen 2 motor swap recommendations?

f**k all the bs man…rebuild your ls and go ls/turbo:up:

this is prolly a silly Q

I was just wondering if 92captivaGS did go B20. What are the diff between our b18 in terms of weight. In some swaps specially with those that involve a bigger engine most people had to fabricate a lot of things. (ie motor mounts etc.) I’m not sure if it applies to G2s but what about weight distribution. Civics with h22’s (a lot heavier than b20) had to go with stiffer suspension up front to compensate for the weight and set the engine further back and lower into the engine bay b/c of size restrictions. Would he (92captiveGS) have to do that sort of stuff?

Any answers would be great. Thanks

Robee

go with b16a turbo-so traction won’t be that big of a problem compared to a turboed b18a/b.

Originally posted by 92captivaGS
I’m not sure I trust any of the shops in my location to do such a swap, I’m in Seattle.

Im in TACOMA, and ISA (Import Speciality Automotive) is a great shop, they have tones of customers that come from BC, Canada with 8 and 9 Second hatchs. He knows his ****.

Re: this is prolly a silly Q

Originally posted by robee18a
[B]I was just wondering if 92captivaGS did go B20. What are the diff between our b18 in terms of weight. In some swaps specially with those that involve a bigger engine most people had to fabricate a lot of things. (ie motor mounts etc.) I’m not sure if it applies to G2s but what about weight distribution. Civics with h22’s (a lot heavier than b20) had to go with stiffer suspension up front to compensate for the weight and set the engine further back and lower into the engine bay b/c of size restrictions. Would he (92captiveGS) have to do that sort of stuff?

Any answers would be great. Thanks

Robee [/B]

www.crvtec.com they say that the b20b is no more than a b18a/b with 84mm sleeves. whether thats creditable or not i dont know. but ive talked to many others that say te weight difference is minimal(like 35lbs). well i plan on getting more agressive suspension anyways whether i go b18a turbo or b20b/z turbo.

b20/turbo, sleeving?

wouldnt u want to sleeve the bottom end of the b20 if u want to turbo it. i hear that the stock sleeves especially suck on those motors. that would be a lot of extra money. but if your only runnin 7-9 psi would it be a neccassary?

I agree with jdmg2gsr, find a ls block, sleeve it, go turbo. New clutch, mounts, etc. It will be the easiest swap and you will be able to reuse most things already under the hood. Then you will have more money for building the car for turbo. Don’t go b20, b18w\sleeves bored to 84mm is the same thing. :search: