Gen 2 Parts worth taking off and keeping...

So, here’s the long story short:

Two years ago I bought a parts car (93 LS, non VTEC) with body rust and a blown headgasket and otherwise good condition. I bought it mostly b/c it was being vandalized where it was parked, going to junk yards was costing me time and gas money, and the nice ppl who owned it wanted to sell it cheap rather than being robbed every few weeks. I’ve taken the few parts I wanted, sold a couple, storing a few. The main body panels have too much interior rust to bother storing. Seats/Upholstery is mostly out and in storage. The head and everything attached to it was out of the car. I’ll post pics if anyone wants to help

Most likely, I am missing a few parts that should be saved, and looking or suggestions on what to strip off and store.

Ideas?

Door seals and any not damaged trim panels.

[QUOTE=2ndJenn;2320600]Door seals and any not damaged trim panels.[/QUOTE]Did not think of the seals, thanks. Door panels, side trim etc are already out. Example below. I wonder if the upper door arch trim is worth keeping too? Can’t keep everything, takes up more room than the car, LOL

Got any pics of the car?

One thing that popped into my head are the door window slider assemblies (#20, 21, 23 & 25). 2 of the 4 are discontinued and they are a common failure point. I already ordered the two that are available a year or two ago and was bummed I couldn’t get a complete set.

The upper door arch trim is discontinued. I checked on it 2 weeks ago.

[QUOTE=Colin;2320602]Got any pics of the car?[/QUOTE]Yes, but none of the inner door. I have been taking pics as I remove the parts for myself, b/c its easier than taking notes, :D. I’ll take some more this wkd.

[QUOTE=Colin;2320602]One thing that popped into my head are the door window slider assemblies (#20, 21, 23 & 25). 2 of the 4 are discontinued and they are a common failure point. I already ordered the two that are available a year or two ago and was bummed I couldn’t get a complete set.[/QUOTE]The car has power windows (mine are manual) All I can say is they roll up and down ok. I need to check into mine also, b/c they don’t seem to work smoothly. On some cars there are parts need lubricating after a few years, not sure about this one… (?)

I can’t take the door apart yet, the car is outside, and I want to keep the dash dry for now.

[QUOTE=2ndJenn;2320620]The upper door arch trim is discontinued. I checked on it 2 weeks ago.[/QUOTE]Yeah, I guess I should save that too then. Originally I was only going to keep the seats/upholstery/fabric-type stuff, and any smaller trim pieces around the lower doors and kick panels.

Inner fender liners if they’re in good shape. Those mirrors can be sold. Front bumper lip if it’s in good condition. Unlikely the bumper has the OEM bumper plugs I’m assuming. Windshield cowl if it’s in good condition.

Are those clear tail lights or is the outer lens just busted off?

[QUOTE=Colin;2320628]Inner fender liners if they’re in good shape. Those mirrors can be sold. Front bumper lip if it’s in good condition. Unlikely the bumper has the OEM bumper plugs I’m assuming. Windshield cowl if it’s in good condition.

Are those clear tail lights or is the outer lens just busted off?[/QUOTE]

Mirrors: off the car already and stored, they work but one would need repainting to look decent.
Bumper lip: off too, looks nice but just the stock lip, one or two of the attachment points was broken tho.
Cowl: loosened now but still on the car. Rubber seal along the back edge is shot tho, dried out and powdery, so the cowl is not complete that way. I checked and that seal does not seem to be available separately from the cowl. The sof rubber ends that protect the hood hinges are in fair shape for the age.
Fan well cover: also in good shape, and the wipers worked. Not sure how much life the fan motor is good for on this car.
Engine Bay seal in that area: rubber seal along the edge of the engine bay, between the bay and the cowl is fine
Tail lights: aftermarket and broken
Headlights: Glass and plastic are in good shape, the supports are rusted and almost not useable, definitely not sale-able in that shape and not worth restoring, I think, but I will definitely keep or sell the heads and fogs

Before you scrap the body check the sunroof drip pan. They are also discontinued, just found that out from another long time member.

[QUOTE=2ndJenn;2320633]Before you scrap the body check the sunroof drip pan. They are also discontinued, just found that out from another long time member.[/QUOTE]I am not sure if that is a separate piece from the frame assembly with the rails. I am keeping the glass to swap into my car when I get that far (cracked when my own car was vandalized). If its what I think it is, its probably rusty. I’m reluctant to store or sell rusty parts, and I don’t know of any way to restore non-structural type steel in a way that will last… :frowning: I assume you remove the headliner to get to the assembly?

One thing I forgot about is the glovebox cover. They are discontinued and prone to deteriorating. I found a nice one at the salvage yard today. I also found 2 A1 transmissions, going back tomorrow to get one of them. I need a clutch case ( also discontinued ) for my CRX.

[QUOTE=2ndJenn;2320653]One thing I forgot about is the glovebox cover. They are discontinued and prone to deteriorating…[/QUOTE]At first glance, the hinge is plastic (?), and on the parts car it is starting to crack and separate at one end. So in other words, the vinyl on the cover is fine, the hinge, not so much.

I am either going to have to take some time with the dash, or just forget about it. That was one of the pieces I wanted to keep and store, b/c if I ever need one, they are hard to find and expensive to ship.

A couple pics of what is left in the car after I took out seats and door panels. That is pretty much what is left inside the car as of today. My original plan was to transplant the whole interior into my car, or sell it, take a few more things I can use, and scrap the rest. Not because there are no usable parts left, but because of the time to strip them out intact (Colin’s comment about parts becoming unavailable made me want to take another look). Its a question of time v. $$, really. Do I spend an hour taking out some parts I may or may not need, or do I spend that time working on my own car… :think:

The point of asking for help in this thread, was ID’ing what was worth spending that time on… If I can buy it on ebay for 20 bucks and in better, rust-free shape, it may not be worth it. I assume other people may be in the same position, not to mention the storage space. However, if I manage to separate the cover from the glove box, I will deff keep it, so thanks, :slight_smile:

Left inside the cabin:

Drivers door after removing the door panel and spkr:

Rear quarter trim panel, after removing the fabric insert from the elbow rest:

@2ndJenn: Btw, as long as you are going to junkyards in a nice salt-free state… I could use any of the galvanized brackets used as supports for wiring and pipes, in rust-free condition. Those are the ones that look a dull grey color. There are a couple in the MT area, and behind/below the filter box, and really all over the engine bay.

Definitely keep/sell the armrest

[QUOTE=rollinmyda;2320667]Definitely keep/sell the armrest[/QUOTE]Its not in the best shape (reason why it was still in the car and not stored) Popup portion of the cup holder is missing, the cushion is disintegrating, plastic has a couple pieces chipped off. I have not decided if its worth the time to repair/restore that, but I am not throwing it out, either.

The upper half of the header cleaned up well, considering I used only household chemicals. Still could use a good acid wash or pickling (chuckle), but it stood the test of time and salt better than the knockoffs on ebay.

you looking to sell the armrest?

[QUOTE=Projectteg;2320791]you looking to sell the armrest?[/QUOTE]I don’t want to use this thread to sell parts, but I do have an open thread in the for-sale section. I started this thread more with the idea to identify parts that are hard to get, both for my own info, and other people who may be in a similar situation.

I am not selling individual pieces of the upholstery right now, but if no one thinks the interior has value as a set, I will probably sell a few pieces, and junk the rest. On other cars the armrest would probably have more value as part of a complete interior, here, maybe not.

Small milestone - carpet is the last piece of upholstery out of the car. Shows signs of some spills under the seats, but the rest was protected by the floor mats, so generally in fair shape.

For the person who asked about the trunk carpet, the outside dimensions are 60"L x 53.5"W (2Dr). The item for sale on ebay (GSR trunk carpet/cover) is NOT the carpet, it IS the spare tire cover under the carpet. The carpet is nothing special, and even though it has some kind of plastic coating on the reverse, it is definitely not waterproof, and probably not difficult to reproduce, if you don’t need the finished edge.

(The dog likes to claim anything lying on the floor)