General axle question

I recently had to drop the transmission on my '99 Cavalier in order to replace the slave cylinder. I’ve got everything put back together, but noticed a steady drip coming from the transmission after I ran the car and shifted the tranny through each gear. The drip appears to be coming from the driver side axle, as if it is not seated all the way (although the car did roll forward a bit in each gear). Is it possible that the issue is that simple, or is there some seal I broke or something? Any input on the matter would be appreciated.

I’m tired of working on this car and just want it out of my garage.

Well, you could have busted The oil seal on that side… If you’re worried that it may not have seated correctly, just get a wood block and a mini sledge and vice it a few smacks on the cup ( shaft end on the tranny side) to make sure. If I had to guess, I would say the seal was damaged during the process. The seal should be plainly visible upon removal of the shaft. Should sit flush to the housing , hopefully.

You didn’t by chance “drop” the tranny to the point where it may have cracked?

I don’t think I dropped it enough to crack it. Where do I go about getting that seal? A friend suggested the same thing, so I just drove to the parts store and they said they don’t sell it. Should I check Rock Auto maybe?

Never mind. Found the seal on Rock Auto in under a minute and it is cheap. Thanks.

Turns out all it needed was a good whack to each axle. I never pounded them after reinstalling, just tightened the bolts. So, when I was loosening everything this time, when I first knocked the axle to bump it loose, it slid in about an inch. Slid under the car and saw that I could see less of the axle sticking out of the tranny. I tightened both sides, ran the car, and no leaks. While I’m glad the only money I had to spend was on another liter of tranny fluid, I feel kind of dumb for what the actual problem was. Oh well, that’s how we learn.

sounds like you were just a whack off.

:rimshot: