GM Synchromesh

Today I did my all my servicing on my 91 DA and found my tranny was low on fluid, used the GM Synchromesh and have to say this stuff is great! Shifts smooth again anyone thinking of using this product do it.

What was the cost if you don’t mind? And what part number did you use? I’ve read that there are a few different versions.

I’m tempted to give it a shot… my old JDM trans grinds a bit in 3rd/4th

Autozone has it, it’s labeled as Pennzoil Syncromesh. Then there’s the Syncromesh Friction Modified (FM) version which is used with LSD equipped transmissions only. The FM version sells for about $10 online plus shipping. Not sure if FM version will help non-LSD transmission or add problems.

Thanks for the input man! I’ve heard local guys mention the Pennzoil stuff but I’ve always been weary.

I will have to do a fluid swap while getting it ready for spring.

I use the amsoil full synthetic syncro mesh for a year now in my teg, its the only thing i will ever use

[QUOTE=unified112;2291473]Thanks for the input man! I’ve heard local guys mention the Pennzoil stuff but I’ve always been weary.

I will have to do a fluid swap while getting it ready for spring.[/QUOTE]

The penzoil stuff is great. I buy my local AutoZone out everytime they get it in stock. My old transmission used to grind but after changing to penzoil sm it stopped completely.

I have Motul Motylgear in my YS1 case with Type R and LSD internals and it feels great. I think I’m going to use Honda MTF next because it’s about time for me to change the fluid anyway.

[QUOTE=unified112;2291473]Thanks for the input man! I’ve heard local guys mention the Pennzoil stuff but I’ve always been weary.

I will have to do a fluid swap while getting it ready for spring.[/QUOTE]

I tried to find the bottle but I threw them out but like everyone else say you can get the Pensoil for less money

GM dealers now carry AC Delco FM instead of their GM branded stuff. here’s a picture of the qt and part #. This part # supersedes the original GM fluid at least according to the dealer. Seems to work the same.

i think it was somewhere around $14/qt.

Not sure what was in my A1 transmission when I got the car ( probably 10W30) , but it would grind a little going into 5th, then started chipping a little in 3rd & would grind bad every once in a while going to second… Last time I did trasmission maintenance I went straight Honda MTF and haven’t had a grind or chip shifting gears since… Well 5th will still chip a little if I am running at higher RPM, but casual driving no more grinds…

I’ve heard Synchromesh is good stuff, but I figure if they make Honda specific stuff I should just use that :slight_smile:

Well, the Honda MTF is more geared toward newer transmissions I believe. The GM Syncromesh is great. I would just check oil reports on this stuff to be sure and go off that.

yes Honda MTF was designed for newer Transmissions, but like Synchromesh does wonders for older beat up transmissions as well :slight_smile: