Grill on 92-93 bumpers

I have had several people ask me how I attached the grill on my 92 bumper. Since I have the bumper off, I snapped a few pics to illustrate how I did it.

Here’s a pic from behind. I just cut out a piece of expanded metal to fit the opening and used a series of zip ties to secure it. This way is much more secure and a lot less messy than the bondo or glue methods.

Here’s a pic from the bottom. To make the anchoring points, I drilled 2 small holes (use a drill size equal to the width of the zip ties) about 1 cm apart in hidden areas and looped the zip ties thru them and thru the mesh. I used 6 ties on the bottom and 2 on top.

Here’s a close up pic of how I secured the bottom edge:

And here’s the top:

grill mesh question

I know many people may ask this, but in fact I ask this alot too, but where did you get the meshing from that exactly??

people just say go to lowe’s or home depot, but seriously I find some crappy stuff there

can you give me specifics??? and was it colored that way??

thanks a lot bro

Re: grill mesh question

Originally posted by HorizonTeg06
[B]I know many people may ask this, but in fact I ask this alot too, but where did you get the meshing from that exactly??

people just say go to lowe’s or home depot, but seriously I find some crappy stuff there

can you give me specifics??? and was it colored that way??

thanks a lot bro [/B]

Look in the yellow pages under “sheet metal” and call them and ask if they have expanded metal sheets. Most should carry it. Some place may even have scraps that they can give away. It comes in a silvery color that needs to be properly primed and coated or else it’ll rust.

thanks

hey Vdo,
thanks for the pics :slight_smile:

so, im assuming that you cut all the stock black plastic **** out before you put the grill in?

thanks, woody

natej9@hotmail.com

also, did you do the grill inserts for the bumper lights the same way? thanks again

Re: thanks

Originally posted by woody92
[B]
so, im assuming that you cut all the stock black plastic **** out before you put the grill in?

thanks, woody

natej9@hotmail.com

also, did you do the grill inserts for the bumper lights the same way? thanks again [/B]

Yes, you have to cut out the stock plastic grill. Which is pretty easy since you just have to use the stock edge as the cutting line.

For the bumper light grill, NO, don’t attach like the center grill. Just use the bumper lights as a template to cut and bend the grill material into a similar shape leaving tabs that’ll fit into the cutouts in the bumper (see pics). Then you can just carefull bend and snap the grill inserts in place from the front without removing bumper.

what’s wrong with the gutter guard stuff at lowes?

Originally posted by narundomestics
what’s wrong with the gutter guard stuff at lowes?

I feel the gutter guard material is too flumsy and doesn’t hold its shape as well as the expanded metal. I’ve seen some gutter grills that get bent up because of road debris or car wash brushes, making the car look very cheap. The grill I have can withstand a kamikazi pigeon on the freeway and still hold its shape. Besides, I think the holes in the gutter grill are too small and doesn’t look right. Again this is all my opinion. To each his own.

hmmm…

well, I just wanted to say that this job is much harder than it looks! But, with hardwork, ingenuity and determination i was able to fulfill the task! and boy, was it worth it. It makes my car look SOO much better.

Thank you V-Do for the help! I appreciate it. :slight_smile:

thanks, woody

natej9@hotmail.com

VDO I sent you an email but I don’t know if you got it…

Anyway I just need to know what are the measurements of the grill (the rectangle to cut)?
Anyone?

Ok, couple of questions… i got this grill for like a few bucks a local racing store, and im wanting to put it in, but im thinking that this is something that u cant go back and change once you do it, i mean replacing the stock black grill and all that stuff, i mean what if i dont like it anymore, or i want to sell the car…

What’d you use to cut your stock grill out so smoothly?

a jigsaw will do… It’s soft plastic.

hey this seems liek a great idea and it looks great in the pics but before i cut out the grill, do you or anyone have any pics of it on the car? Thanks

ARCHIVETHIS

Originally posted by Senorpapacabasa
Ok, couple of questions… i got this grill for like a few bucks a local racing store, and im wanting to put it in, but im thinking that this is something that u cant go back and change once you do it, i mean replacing the stock black grill and all that stuff, i mean what if i dont like it anymore, or i want to sell the car…

nope, obviously you can’t go back once you start… you have to cut out the stock grill. if you need to sell your car just go to a local junk yard and pick one up and repaint it…