Gs-R head, type R cams

Hi guys, I want to know real quick if a stock gs-R head would be good with type R cams (itr)
I’m only revving to 8k still and going to tune.
Would I see any gains in hp?
It’s going to be on a b20block high cr.

The cam-lif of the ITR is a bit bigger than the GS-R, so even if you only rev to 8k, you’ll still be compressing the GS-R valve springs more than they’re designed for.

Though the GS-R intake valve springs are the same part number as the ITR exhaust valve springs (if I remember correctly… It may be vice versa), the ITR intake springs are specific to the R.

You would “probably” be ok, but you will still be pushing the springs further than they’re meant to be.

[QUOTE=unified112;2286982]The cam-lif of the ITR is a bit bigger than the GS-R, so even if you only rev to 8k, you’ll still be compressing the GS-R valve springs more than they’re designed for.

Though the GS-R intake valve springs are the same part number as the ITR exhaust valve springs (if I remember correctly… It may be vice versa), the ITR intake springs are specific to the R.

You would “probably” be ok, but you will still be pushing the springs further than they’re meant to be.[/QUOTE]

I know the gs-R intake valve springs are the same as the typeR exhaust valve springs, can I just move the gsr intake spring to the exhaust and buy type r intake springs?

The main difference in the ITR and GSR valve springs is the ITR has dual valve springs for the intake and the exhaust, and the GSR only has them on the intake. The inner valve spring is what allows the “higher lift” and stability at the upper RPM range of the ITR.

You can usually find ITR valve springs for around $100 used or less. Just look around, better to be safe then sorry. Specially when it comes to valvetrain that can toast a whole engine really quickly.