Headers!!

how hard is it to put in a headers?? also, i went to go buy a gasket and the dealer gave me a metal gasket. i have a B17 and i dont know if that what i suppose to use, and do i have to put that red silicon thing on gasket. THNX YA"LL…

Re: Headers!!

Originally posted by JaySR
how hard is it to put in a headers?? also, i went to go buy a gasket and the dealer gave me a metal gasket. i have a B17 and i dont know if that what i suppose to use, and do i have to put that red silicon thing on gasket. THNX YA"LL…

the lower a-pipe bolts may be hard to loosen and access. you need different sized sockets and extensions, some wd40 or something, torque wrench, some kind of wrench for leverage… its easy so long as you have a decent set of tools, say like a 150-250 piece craftsman set.

yes the exhaust gasket is metal. no, no need for silicone.

Re: Re: Headers!!

Originally posted by XDEep
the lower a-pipe bolts may be hard to loosen and access. you need different sized sockets and extensions, some wd40 or something, torque wrench, some kind of wrench for leverage…

That’s if the old manifold isn’t a rusted mess. If it’s terribly bad, you might need a torch, dremel tool, hacksaw, nut breaker, drill, plasma cutter, chainsaw, 12 gauge shotgun, etc. etc…

Tom

the hardest part was taking out the 2 bolts that hold the bracket that holds the manifold.

it took me 3 days of wd-40 and a wrench. if i pulled to hard the wrench would slip and i would bust my knuckles on the radiator. ouch!!
and it i did it even harder i would bust a hole in the radiator, im glad that didnt happen.

oh and if u do manage to get it loose ( i finally got a long metal broom that had a hollow handle and used it as a leverage bar) expect to only turn the bolt 1/8 of 1/8 of a turn.:bang:

but i was so happy when i got it off and put the new one in. such weight reduction. the stock wieghs like 30lbs and the chikara weighs like 5lbs.

but then that happiness turned into anger from hell again when i realized i didnt put the donut gasket in where the dpipe meets the cat. talk about a loss of torque.

but all is good except for a clogged cat and tiny amount of bacfiring

jus did this actually
unbolting the mounting bolts for the lower part and the engine are the worst part i thought, then if you have ac its kinda hard to get the new header down without to omuch scraping

but its great, more low end torque

DO NOT WORK ON THE EXHAUST MANI WHEN YOUR MOTOR IS STILL HOT. You’ll strip the threads right off the bolts. When I installed my ‘header’ (not headers since you only have 1) I took off the exhaust mani heat shield, then disconnected the o2 sensor, unbolted the bottom 1/2 of the stock header from the top 1/2 and the cat, then EVENLY loosen the bolts connecting the top 1/2 to the motor. I had to undo my ac line brackets to get the top 1/2 out, pulling it up and out of the engine bay. Then put the new header in starting with the top 1/2 first. Make sure you Tq the bolts correctly, I still have the instructions for my DC header if you need anymore help. My AIM is mwe1born

youre supposed to remove the exhaust bolts while they are warm and contracted as opposed to cold and expanded

youre supposed to remove the exhaust bolts while they are warm and contracted as opposed to cold and expanded

This may be true, but too hot and the threads melt into the nut, just speaking from experience.

Thank you all for the response. i got my headers in and some of you guys were right…those 3 bolts on the down pipe right by the oil pan were a bit@h to take off… took me a long time…the only problem now is my paint on my headers peeled right off. i sprayed painted them with those high temp paint but it didnt work… i posted a qusetion about it on Gen. discussion to what is a good brand of paint i should use?? thnx again…

Oh man, do you know how hot the header gets? = paint no stay

AND ITS ‘HEADER’ NOT ‘HEADERS’, the ‘s’ would mean plural, more than one…which you do not have.

Cold -> contract
Heat -> expand

Basic thermodynamics.

But yeah, using heat can make things easier.

Tom

what about ice?

If your talking about the expansion from liquid water to ice, it occurs because the water undergoes a state change. Ice has a rigid lattice structure, so in terms of thermal expansion, you can’t compare it directly to fluids or metals.

Tom

:baby: