Help! 90 integra GS wont blow any air!

Hey guys recently purchased a 1990 Intregra GS. Very good condition but the Heater nor AC wont work. ANd wont blow Any air at all. THe heater motor fuse was blown and i replaced it and but still nothing. I Left the car on for a bit and turned the blower on and i noticed smoke coming from the vents? under the windsheild? Not good. But yes help me diagnose this problem! thanks in advance

The blower motor is probably on it’s way out, the smoke has to be comming from it or the blower motor resistor pack.

Pull the blower motor and test it, it is easy to remove, [3 screws], lift pass. carpet and undo ECU/ECM cover plate and remove plate and unplug ECU/ECM and remove it will make removing blower motor easier, unplug blower motor electrical connection, [2pin plug] and remove e screws holding blower motor in place, drop blower motor out and test on bench, you can use the cars batt. as a power supply.
If motor is seized, [can be tested by trying to turn fan by hand] fan will not turn, it is the motor that the smoke is comming from and obviously it needs to be replaced.

If blower motor works on bench then the problem is the blower motor resistor pack, you can access it by removing the glove box, it is mounted into the heated box directly above the blower motor, it has a 4pin plug plugged into it.

While in there, [blower motor housing/heater box] look for water damage or signs of water, a leaking fresh air vent seal is a common problem on a G2 and can cause damage to blower motor and even the ECU/ECM.

Let me know what you find. :corn:94

wow thanks a lot Im going to pull off the blower motor and tell you what i find. Thakns again ill be upating

Pulled it out and this is what i found. ALso pulling off the Vent hose and water came out. :shrug: And i dont see that Recirc cable or whatever on the Tutorial i looked on

So how do test to see if the Fan works?

Think i found the problem. It wouldnt even spin with my hands and then it broke free. Where can i get this peice from? I think its the motor that spins the fan

Yep, that’s your problem and although you did not need to remove the whole housing to pull the motor, I do see water damage, [probably what seized the blower motor] so you are going to have to make any necessary repairs before you reinstall the housing.
I have not done this repair myself, but understand that it is somewhat of a problem with G2s and there are some write ups on the “fix” here on G2IC, a search should find them.:whisper:94

Found this… http://www.g2ic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=138017 :bowthank: 94

okay cool so that link is how to fix the acutal water leak correct? Now that smoke that was coming from the vents? You think whatever is causing that is bad as well?

The smoke was coming from either the seized motor or the resistor pack, that’s the black thing with the 4pin plug mounted to the blower box with the two screws, pull it out and take a pix of the resistors. :corn:94

I pulled off the resistor and the spring is broken, ALso the connector is all green. I geuss a need a new one. Fixed the Water leak today and it just started raining today as well. Now im pickin up my blower motor for 26 bux tomorrow from autozone.

I need heat now! is a 1990 CRX si heater resistor compatible with the integra resistor? its starting to get too cold now.

“Spring” = resistor

Sorry, do not know if a 90 CRX resistor pack is the same as a 90 Integra, it’s possible, if it looks and mounts the same it probably is.

Even without a new resistor pack you should have at least full speed (4). :whisper:94

So is it safe to run my heater without teh resistor pack? Untill the part comes in?

Yes, but you will only have high speed.:up:94

Cool FCM thanks for all your help. :rockon: Im gonna pick up my blower motor today, and put it together. Also the write up on fixing the water leak works like a charm. Thanks again. Now ill just be waiting on my resistor

Bringing this back. I have a problem where the blower works fine for about 30 minutes, then dies down to a very minimal blow. You can still hear the blower running full blast but very little air comes out. The knob still works and you can hear the different speeds and the different levels, so to me that means the resistor is fine, but the fan motor itself is going out. However, the problem is sporadic. I’m going to pull out the motor this weekend to see if I can replicate the problem.

Upon further review, I can feel air (not cold) coming out from the passenger side and the “box” that is right above the knees is dripping wet. So I don’t think it’s the fan. But now I’m really confused. I haven’t pulled anything out. I’m also noticing that the vent selector doesn’t seem to be doing much. But I still don’t know why it works when the car first turns on, then it slowly dies to no air flowing out the vents, but it’s blowing down on the passenger side only. I’m going to try to remove things on Thursday.

This may have been due to a ghetto-rigged switch bypass line that the mechanic did. He put a wire into the blower connection, and ran it to the compressor and one cooling fan. I removed all that nonsense over the weekend. It turned out my A/C switch was faulty (I’ve been through 3, since I’ve had the car. One was new. It appears to be a bad design.) Anyway, the mechanic obviously didn’t check the switch to notice it was faulty, but I replaced it with a known good switch and I haven’t had the low fan issue since. On a side note, I’m also having an ICU problem so that could have been related to this.