Help FAST! What is wrong......

My car has also idled at 750 to 800 but now…Ill be going down the road push the clutch in and it goes to 600 then goes right up to 1500. When I just sit still it idles at 1500 to 1600. What is going on?

check ur 02 sensor. Its the easiest thing on the car to change, but get overlooked the most. HAve you done a tune-up on it lately? How many miles and what yr? Maybe one of your vacuum lines is leaking? Does your temperature gauge fluctuate? Have you check your ecu codes? And is your idle screw been tampered with? Also it might be your timing?

Check those and see if that helps.

the two easiest things you can eliminate are:

-reset ecu
-check (top off) coolant level

these are both common reasons why the idle will “bounce” like you are describing. Another thing is the TPS, but if thats bad your ecu should be throwing a code.

i think everyone is overlooking the vacum lines u could have a pin hole in one i had a pinhole in my map sensor hose and it did the same thing. hope this helps

Originally posted by soontoB16
i think everyone is overlooking the vacum lines u could have a pin hole in one i had a pinhole in my map sensor hose and it did the same thing. hope this helps

I hate those vaccum lines, if you have a leak it takes forever and a day to find the leak. Good luck!

How do you know when you ecu throws a code?

well, your check engine light will be on, and i’m assuming it’s not. to if it was on, you pull back the carpet on the passenger dash, there will be a slow blinking light, then a fast blinking light, the slow is for the first number, the fast is for the second (ie 1 slow 4 fast would be 14).

the problem with my bouncing idle was easier than ALL OF THE OTHERS. Well maybe not coolant, but check the throttle body cable, I had tightened mine (like an idiot), and it was too tight. Before you go and replace the o2 sensor, as it might be rusted in there… check the idle screw, set the idle at what you want, and then reset ECU.

Also, please reply back with what year and how many miles, and if you’ve done a tuneup.

Good Luck

an easy way to check vacuum hoses is to take a spray bottle and fill it up with water, spray hoses and listen for rpms to increase or engine to run rough . if they do you have a leak.