how many wires on an ignitor in a dist.??

i have my distributor apart now and was wondering what the ignitor looks like? does it have a yellow wire and tan wire? can i buy an ignitor at a parts store? and if anyone has pics please show them, thanks!!!

if you look at the distributor as it was still attached to the head, the igniter is on the front towards the underside. you will see 4 wires going to it. to take it off all you have to do is remove to screws. ill try and take a picture of it if you dont get what im saying. hth

so the ignitor is the piece with the coil on it? with the coil spring?i have 3 wires going to it and one to somewhere above. is there a way to tell if the ignitor is burnet out? thanks for your help, i appreciate it.

Originally posted by 92integ4u2nv
so the ignitor is the piece with the coil on it? with the coil spring?i have 3 wires going to it and one to somewhere above. is there a way to tell if the ignitor is burnet out? thanks for your help, i appreciate it.
The piece with the spring on it is the ignition coil. The ignitor will be below that tucked into the dist. housing.

WOULD YOU HAPPEN TO KNOW HOW MUCH IT WOULD COST FOR AN IGNITOR?

ignitors are between 75 and 110 bucks, the cheaper ones are the generic ones from places like autozone, and the acura one is around 110. I think for the small price difference, I’d stick with a factory one.

so all i gotta do is buy an ignitor and screw it in an thats it? i hope so. it beats buying a whole new distributor. thanks for the input guys.