How To: DB2 LMA Replacement

How To: Lost Motion Assembly Replacement on DB2 Integra

Supplies
New LMAs (I ordered the updated B16 units)
Valve Cover Gaskets (Mine were old)
Liquid Gasket
Rubber bands

Tools
10 12 14 19 Assorted Sockets/Wrenches
10mm Hex key/Socket – Rocker Shaft plugs
12mm Bolt 1.25 pitch – Rocker shafts
Needle Nose pliers
Torque Wrench

Take out your airbox, battery, and intake arm. You need this room to maneuver the rocker shafts out of the head. Remove the 10mm nuts that are holding on the valve cover, spark plug wires, vacuum line and the ground. Remove the valve cover.

At this point put the engine at TDC using the 19mm socket, make sure to rotate the motor in the same way it operates (Counter-Clockwise). Allign the notch on the Crank Pulley with the white line on the Lower Timing Cover, then check the Up marks on the camshaft pulleys and confirm the notches on the pulleys are lined up. Your car is now at TDC (A trick I also use is to take out the plugs and place a rod welding wire with a piece of masking tape attached closer to the top like a flag. Place the wire down into the first cylinder and as you bring it to TDC you can watch the flag raise relative to the background and reach its highest point in the cycle.

Now with the motor at TDC release the tensioner by backing out the 14mm tensioner bolt to take tension off the cam gears.

You want to take utmost care to protect the cam journals. I removed my cam plates in three steps, working from the inside out just as you torque them I broke each loose and then went back and removed them evenly until they were all loose. Once you know that all the bolts are loose and not contacting threads lift the plates out.

The cam plates make excellent organizers because they naturally capture the bolts. Next using a rubber mallet tap on both sides of the cam caps to get them to loosen up. DO NOT PRY; you will mar the aluminum head and the caps sealing surfaces. There are two oil jets that must also be removed as they are captured in the Rocker Shafts. Remove Cams and keep things organized.

Now take the rubber bands and place them around the rocker arms to keep the pins from falling out and to keep everything organized. Remove the two 10mm Allen Plugs on the left side of the head, they will be directly inline with each rocker shaft. Once you have that out take the 12mm 1.25 pitch bolt and thread it into the rocker shaft. Working with the intake side first simply pull the rocker shaft out of the car slowly towards the passenger side of the car. As you draw it out the rocker arms will no longer be captured so do not allow them to fall. Once all the rocker arms are removed take the needle nose and pull out each LMA and push the new one into place until it seats, give them a good coat of oil, I just let mine sit in oil and soak.

Now put the bound Rocker Arms back onto the Rocker Shafts working from the passenger side to the driver side. Make sure to take your time and keep them aligned sometimes it will bind simply back it out and adjust the rocker shafts

Reinstall Rocker Shaft Plugs and the Oil Jets followed by the cams making sure to align the marks on the cams as best as they will allow. The end cam caps get a small amunt of gasket on their outside corners.

There is a proper torque sequence to the head, make sure you use a torque wrench and torque to factory settings. Over-torquing these can tear up the head.

Make sure your Cams and Crank are aligned at to TDC and reinstall the Timing Belt to the Cam Gears making sure you do not alter the timing. Torque the Tensioner to 40 ft lbs and rotate the belt three teeth on the cam gears, loosen then retorque the Tensioner to get good tension on the belt. Place the motor back to TDC and check the deflection.

Button up the valve cover and related items, start the car and hopefully that terrible rattle will be no more.