How To: Like New carpet for around 50$

i think i understand what you just said :hmm:

but, it worked out VERY well for me, my carpet is original and was owned by smokers that spilled bleach in the back carpet and doing this made my carpet look brand new. maybe its not for everyone… i think new carpet is pretty close to 200$ with shipping and all that so for about 50$ and a little work you can get basically new carpet…

its definitely a solid write up for those with good carpet. yep, i was trying to not spend the 250.

[QUOTE=DA_all_day;2280527]i think i understand what you just said :hmm:

but, it worked out VERY well for me, my carpet is original and was owned by smokers that spilled bleach in the back carpet and doing this made my carpet look brand new. maybe its not for everyone… i think new carpet is pretty close to 200$ with shipping and all that so for about 50$ and a little work you can get basically new carpet…[/QUOTE]

Hey OP, how is this holding up for you since you did it?

Trying to determine if I want to do it the way you did or try to actually dye it legit. I used that same Duplicolor stuff on my rear privacy cover and am not sure how well it would hold up on the carpet with everyday use.

Of course this company I found on ebay seems pretty legit for the price.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/86-01-Acura-Integra-Molded-Carpet-Fits-2dr-4dr-or-Passenger-Area-of-Hatchback-/281037457118?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A1991|Make%3AAcura|Model%3AIntegra&hash=item416f2346de&vxp=mtr

86-01 same carpet? not saying its true but interesting

Pretty sure it means you can get carpet for all those different years, not that they are all the same. The little video that posted on that link is informative.

Update for this procedure…

Its a little over 2 years later and the paint is starting to fade a little bit.

=\

Is the carpet “crunchy” since you painted it or does it feel like actual carpet?

I know exactly what your talking about. No, theres no crunch. The carpet maintained its texture. The paint is more like a dye than actual paint.

Would this be the same concept for doing cloth seats

I did the dye version for my carpet (from another thread). It, too, has faded after about two years. I’ll just dye it again.

probably… i remember seeing a guy on cardomain do his seats with the same duplicolor spray in a differant color. he taped the seats off and did them two tone. i dont know if it will rub on your clothes or how long it will last though

Sweet write up! I’ll be doing this job this weekend. I’m always looking to save a bit of cash, building a race car isn’t cheap. Thanks again. :slight_smile:

I just did this with my cargo cover and the rear hatch carpet. I didn’t use the powder detergent though. I hit it with a pressure washer, then poured A&H liquid detergent on it and scrubbed the hell out of it with a rough carpet brush for about 45mins. Then I filled up a garbage can with the same soap and water and let it sit over night. Rinsed it off and let it dry for another night. The cargo cover I simply vacuumed because it wasn’t that dirty, on to pics.

What I started with

The cargo cover needs another coat. Probably because the material is so fine that the tan always shows through. This was with 1.5 cans, the other half can can finish the cover.

looks really good. update us on how the cargo cover holds up. the trunk carpet will stay that finish probably for ever. mine still looks the same as the day i did it.

Well because the material for the cover is tightly woven the paint is quite a bit more “crusty”. However it is still holding up just fine. Granted I don’t drive it at all lol. I want to do another coat on the cover to even it out some.