How To: Like New carpet for around 50$

the time came to restore the interior of my car and instead of buying new i decided to just restore the old. one of the biggest things that was looming over my head during this entire process was the carpet. new carpet is expensive. BUT i found a way that worked out for me.

What you will need:
~tub of granular oxy clean versatile
~oxy clean spray laundry stain remover
~nylon brush or some kind of mildy abrasive brush
~hose
~vacuum
~3-4 cans of duplicolor vinly&fabric paint

begin by getting the old carpet out. use whatever means are suitable to you. i just cut it out.

its a good idea to vacuum the carpet REALLY good before you start washing it. i just used the vacuum at the car wash and got it really deep to pull up all that i could.

after the vacuum i propped up the carpet on the hose hanger and gave it an initial spray down. just enough water to get it wet so that the powdered oxy sticks. then, i used the spray oxy to wet the powder and then gave that a light spray with the hose.

Then i got to scrubbing. as you scrub youll start to see all the crap come up out of the carpet. mine looked like beer. dark beer.

but i repeated this process of powder,spray,scrub,rinse until the water running out of the carpet was clear.
RESULT:
before

after

after letting it completely air dry for a few days i vacuumed it again to get out all the lint and whatever else and laid it out in the shape of the floor so it can start getting its natural mold back. i let it sit for a few hours.

next i started spraying it with the paint.

this is after 2 coats. you want to be very slow when painting it. you want to move slowly across it and give it nice solid coats of paint. my end result came out pretty good. it looks even better in person. i only did half initially so i can take these pictures. but i have the entire thing painted now and it looks AMAZING…

looks good… What color paint did you use?

nice. Where do you buy the oxy stuff?

ummm… black

oxi clean can be found at walmart or anywhere really.

looks good…i doubt i would have shampoo’d the carpet, but you did an excellent job w/ the project

thank you

How did you put it back in?

Dm

howd i put it back in? the reverse of taking it out. just put the carpet in through the trunk and lay it out. then just mold it back the way it goes…

Any issues with the fabric paint coming off when wet or anything?

no. it holds like a dye. i have a leak somewhere that gets the passenger floor wet and the color holds fine. no runs or anything…

OMg, you have the passenger side leak too!?

I hate that!

Dm

yea, but mine isnt coming from the above the ecu. im pretty sure its coming from the rear passenger side quarter window and it leaks down onto the floor.

Wow. I really didn’t think it was going to turn out this well. Preciate the write up

I just reinstalled the carpet over the weekend after following this write up for the most part. It turned out looking really fresh with that dye. I procrastinated getting it back in the car, so I had it out for a couple months. I picked up some GSR seats and finally got the motivation to put it back together.

Thanks for the heads up on the product.

sweet. as far as i know your the only one to use this write up…

glad it worked out for you…

I will for sure be doing this, my carpet is poo brown (stock). Black will look amazing matched with the rest of my poo brown interior.

The water is coming from the air duct right underneath your cowl panel, where the blower motor sucks in air from then it’s leaking down on your ecu and carpet making the floor wet. There are many things u can do to prevent it, be creative.

i know. i fixed that. theres another one… its coming from the rear passenger window. the seal around it isnt sealing anymore… so its dripping water down…

with almost 4000 views, i would really like to know how many people tried this…

i have. i thought this thread looked like a good way to save money. nope. waste of it for me. with the flaws already in my carpet, it just came out clean. the idea works. i decided not so paint it since the carpet was just beat down in some areas. years of wear on the carpet can not always be fixed. I’m ordering more carpet in the spring. oh, you want to do this if its warm. i did the oxyclean at the car was for the sprayer.