How to Modify OEM Arm Rest Cup Holder with Broken or Missing Halo

Here is how to modify your OEM Arm Rest cup holder that looks like this.

For this modification, I used your standard Dremel kit with cutting and sanding bits.

SAFETY FIRST! Use EYE PROTECTION at minimum.
I also used gloves and a long sleeve shirt because the flying plastic pieces got very hot.

Starting with the front holder, I did a rough cut of the bottom to finish off with the sander.

There is a tab on the underside of the front holder. Decide ahead of time if you want to keep it so you don’t accidentally cut it. I don’t know what it’s for, so I left it alone.

Use the sanding bit to get the rest of it off.

Here is how it looks with one opened up.

Here is the back holder cut out.

Sand the sides flush.

Clean off any rough edges from the bottom.

Install.

Here is how it looks like flipped up.

This is how it holds two 12 oz cans.

This is how it holds an energy drink and water bottle.

This is how it holds my heated coffee mug. It doesn’t go all the through. I have to jam it a little for it to stay put.

Final Notes:
It does an OK job as a cup holder. I still would not drive very aggressively with this modification, but it’s better than wedging it next to the parking brake handle.

I imagine the original design was wider up top with the halo, which makes the base diameter somewhat small in comparison.

The hinge in my cup holder is a little bent of of shape, as if the previous owner had leaned on it a bit too hard. That’s why it doesn’t sit exactly square, and it makes it a little wobbly as well. We’ll see how it holds up over time, especially with my heated coffee mug that I use daily on the way to work.

Thanks for taking the time to post this! Looks like a decent mod!